Vintage Gretsch Guitars

What do I have?

having a hard time figuring out just what I have here. It is a synchromatic with model number 6187 and serial number 96571. And please understand, I only grew up listening to my dad play. I don’t play at all and I am completely ignorant to the art of playing.

having a hard time figuring out just what I have here. It is a synchromatic with model number 6187 and serial number 96571. And please understand, I only grew up listening to my dad play. I don’t play at all and I am completely ignorant to the art of playing.

Well if you're going to tease us with a pic, we have to see the back. That is a gorgeous guitar.

Welcome to our forum. kc_eddie_b is our resident Historian. If you can get us a picture of the label, I'm sure we can help.

This is everything I have for it. And thank you for your responses.

I had a 6186 which was a Clipper, and not that guitar.

A 6187 is a Viking...and not that guitar, either.

My best guess is that you have the paper from another guitar with that beauty, which seems to be an early 40's Synchromatic. Not sure of the year, though.

Any label down inside the guitar that you can see?

Can we get a pic of the headstock, too?

I can’t see into the body very well. I remember my father always mentioning either 56 or 57. He unfortunately passed recently. I also have a Gibson ES 335 69’ and 62’ 330.

The pickup looks like a standard Gibson humbucker, which was introduced in 1958, and not like anything Gretsch ever produced, so I'm fairly certain it was added later, replacing whatever pickup was originally on the guitar. Or perhaps it was originally an acoustic, with both the pickup, knobs and wiring added later.

I can’t see into the body very well. I remember my father always mentioning either 56 or 57. He unfortunately passed recently. I also have a Gibson ES 335 69’ and 62’ 330.

– Frankie024094

It actually looks more like a 40's Syncro with that headstock and the inlays.

Really pretty guitar!

Do you see a number stamped on top of the headstock like this?

Oh my! I knew her backside would be sexy as hell. Love that stinger down the neck. I have never seen a pick guard of tortoise shell, that old, in that good of shape. Very cool guitar!

My condolences on the loss of your Father.

The tag inside the guitar is the most helpful but that's some impressive old paper, as well.

My best guess is that you have the paper from another guitar

I think that's right. Also the "T-zone" brochure is consistent with 6187 although I can't remember anymore if Vikings ever got Filtertrons (another brochure). I thought Vikings only ever had Supertrons. As odd-ball as Gretsch was, I wouldn't think they would issue mid 60s literature with an acoustic guitar (that was already 20-25 years old or so by then).

The tuners look like mid 60s Van Ghent. The knobs look early 50s Kluson. The tailpiece doesn't look Gretsch to me and looks sort of like the Kluson ones from the early to mid 50s but I don't think it is a Kluson.

I don't recall ever seeing split block inlays on a Gretsch. Ed?

Great looking acoustic!

I don't recall ever seeing split block inlays on a Gretsch.

You'll see them on '40's Syncros on Reverb.

Setzer's got one for sale, and there's a few others, one even has that tailpiece on it!

I will check about the number on headstock when I get home. I really appreciate all the comments. It is very exciting learning about this piece of history. I began playing again. But not touching this for right now till I know what I am doing.

Serial # would relate to Sept of 1966. There’s no such thing as a Gretsch sequential serial number that starts with 9xxxx. Are we sure that warranty certificate is original to the guitar? Cats-eye sound holes weren’t a 60s thing. The head-stock, inlays, and body contour are pre-war for sure. Crowbone is correct... there should be a serial number stamped into the tip of the headstock.

That’s a synchro 300. The paper work and serial number are likely unrelated to this guitar.

It’s been modded obviously with a humbucker at some point. Otherwise a sweet old guitar.

I’d say it’s a early to mid 40s era gretsch.

So if the pup is a switched out Gibson humbucker, has the body necessarily been modded to mount it?!? Would this have even had a DeArmond as stock, or was this likely a full acoustic? The knobs look Gibson-y as well as far as I can tell from the tiny photo on my phone. Are they drilled in the right spots to be stock?

Either way, I’d be stoked to own one like it! That cat eyes, flamed back, and the tortoise binding are hardwired to my aesthetic pleasure centers.

Sorry to hear of your dad’s passing Frankie. Perhaps you might honor his memory by signing up for some lessons with his guitar? There’s plenty of top notch musicians offering online lessons as a way to stay afloat during COVID in the absence of performing income.

Thank you and yes I have begun lessons. I am going to really examine it as soon as possible and will give updates pictures if I find anything different.

Register Sign in to join the conversation