Vintage Gretsch Guitars

What do I have

I inherited a acustic Gretsch from my grandfather and I am wondering what it is, and it's value? The serial number (small numbers on the top of the headstock) is 1999. I've never really done forums, so I'm working in attaching some pictures.

Is the paper label visible in the sound hole? What numbers can you see?

Is the paper label visible in the sound hole? What numbers can you see?

– wabash slim

I see nothing in the f holes, just some small numbers on the top of the headstock.

Oh my! Tort binding...

I see nothing in the f holes, just some small numbers on the top of the headstock.

– ksanchez

Love that headstock. My 3rd favorite behind the angry steerhead and the shield.

That serial is from the 1945 - 47 range.

That is very nice. Your grandfather had good taste. Someone with greater knowledge than me will be along shortly to answer your questions.

Love that headstock. My 3rd favorite behind the angry steerhead and the shield.

That serial is from the 1945 - 47 range.

– crowbone

Actually, it's earlier... I believe. Pre-war, in fact. Keep in mind that the full tortoise binding was gone by '46 or earlier.

Although Ed can pin it down better than me, off the top of my head I'd say it's '41-42.

Oh my goodness. What a beauty! I'd love to see a better pic of the back.

– ksanchez

Yup, looks a WHOLE lot like my '42, but I'm thinking yours is a wee bit older, due to the headstock ornament

In sunburst with white binding, that would be a Model 75. And maybe that's what it is. But I'm not sure if the blonde finish and tortoise binding gave it a different model number.

Actually, it's earlier... I believe. Pre-war, in fact. Keep in mind that the full tortoise binding was gone by '46 or earlier.

Although Ed can pin it down better than me, off the top of my head I'd say it's '41-42.

– Tartan Phantom

If 1999 is the serial #, then it falls in the 45-47 range according to the GDP's serial numbers page...unless it isn't the serial?

Crowbone... GDP serial number guide has it's shortcomings. This range one of them as there are three different pre-war sequential serial numbering systems.

The OP's guitar is pre-war, with Synchromatic line features... probably '41/42. Afire suggests a model 75, and that may be. The model 65 and 75 from this period are confusing to me... and each is uncommon enough where it's hard to get a decent sample size to draw conclusions. The Gretsch ephemera is sometimes misleading, and this early 40's era often reveals Gretsch guitars with mixed features between the American Orchestra and Synchromatic lines.

And FYI, I'm going by the 1939 catalog. Other than the color scheme, it looks to be a near perfect match to the Synchromatic Model 75. The only other discrepancy I can make out is that the end of the fretboard is straight while the catalog illustration is contoured. But again, there's no mention of a natural finish, and seeing as how natural finishes often come at a premium (better looking wood is selected for them) and the model names were based on the introductory prices, it is entirely possible that that natural version of the 75 had a different number, maybe the 80 or 85, and it's just not in the catalogs that we know of.

I am wondering [...] it's value?

I had an acoustic very similar to yours maybe a couple of years older or younger than yours--I can't remember the year at this point. By and large only the design on the headstock was sigificantly different than yours from what I can see.

I sold it on ebay maybe 3 or 4 years ago with the caveat that I thought it needed a neck reset and the sale price was about $750, so if yours plays well add three or four hundred to this.

In sunburst with white binding, that would be a Model 75. And maybe that's what it is. But I'm not sure if the blonde finish and tortoise binding gave it a different model number.

– Afire

It might be a different model number. The post-war Synchromatic 100 had the blonde upgrade to the Synchromatic 115 -- which hasn't shown up in a catalog either. Interesting that the 75 had the Gibson style headstock. Whatever it is, it is one gorgeous guitar.

I inherited a acustic Gretsch from my grandfather and I am wondering what it is, and it's value? The serial number (small numbers on the top of the headstock) is 1999. I've never really done forums, so I'm working in attaching some pictures.

– ksanchez

From the Blue Book:

MODEL 75

*- arched spruce top, raised bound tortoise pickguard, f-holes, bound body, figured maple back/sides, three-piece maple neck, 14/20-fret bound rosewood pointed end fingerboard with pearloid block inlay, adjustable rosewood stairstep bridge/nickel trapeze tailpiece, black face peghead with large floral/logo inlay, three-per-side nickel tuners, available in Brown Sunburst finish, body width 16 in., mfg. 1939-1949.

Early models had bound pegheads. By 1940, a three-stripe bound pickguard/body replaced the original design, and the pickguard was also enlarged.*

Grading

Excellent $1,050 - 1,250
Average $750 - 900

Is it going to be for sale?

Register Sign in to join the conversation