Vintage Gretsch Guitars

What Are The Right Pickups On A Country Roc Jet?

It's probably my unfamiliarity with Boonesville designs, but this just doesn't look right to me.

Can anyone confirm if these are the right pickups, or for that matter, the correct bridge for this guitar?

It was. If my memory is correct, they went to DiMarzio hum buckers and a BadAss bridge on those. Very Gibson-y.

yea, Post about 74-75 the switched from the trap tail and floating bridge to the stop tail and full size humbuckers. I had a black jet from the same period as this one. It was remarkably un-remarkable in just about every way. And the neck was a toothpick.

Yes they had the humbuggies in them when that era of Jet was in production. I wonder who made them?

That tailpiece is very similar to the one that was on my G1619 Synchro.

yea, Post about 74-75 the switched from the trap tail and floating bridge to the stop tail and full size humbuckers. I had a black jet from the same period as this one. It was remarkably un-remarkable in just about every way. And the neck was a toothpick.

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

Thanks. Yeah, outside of that wood, it's like someone's( Gibson's) attempt at making a Gretsch.

So it is right, but it just looks wrong.

And what kind of a Country Roc Jet comes with no belt buckle?

A 70s one.

Didn't they come originally w/ Supertrons?

Love the top on that one, though.

The version of the Country Roc I am familiar with had SuperTrons.

This version differs from the ones I know by locking the western etched 70's version of the block inlays, Gretsch/Baldwin TOM and tailpiece with the buckle as mentioned before. The horseshoe headstock inlay is missing, too.

crowbone, I don't think that is a "Country Roc Jet" at all. It is a standard configuration Roc Jet post-1975 (with the exception of having what appears to be a rosewood fingerboard instead of an ebony one) that had a walnut stain finished top, which is a standard color for this model, which has faded due to exposure to sunlight

A 70s one.

– Baxter

I think earlier 70's CRJs had them, and the leather trim as well. They still looked somewhat like the Roundups of old...but were still morphing into whatever this is.

crowbone, I don't think that is a "Country Roc Jet" at all. It is a standard configuration Roc Jet post-1975 (with the exception of having what appears to be a rosewood fingerboard instead of an ebony one) that had a walnut stain finished top, which is a standard color for this model, which has faded due to exposure to sunlight

– ewkewk

That would make sense. It's not posted as such, though.

That guitar is either a 7612 Roc Jet (Cherry) or a 7613 (Walnut) that has faded. A lot of the red finished '70s Gretsch guitars from that era turned to a different color from exposure to uv rays. Case in point, many red Super Axes usually turned to watermelon pink.

it's like someone's( Gibson's) attempt at making a Gretsch.

Actually, someone's (Gretsch's) attempt to make a Gibson...

The color is beautiful. The build and the hardware make it a Gretsch in name only. Ah well.

It just seems so sad to me - a complete abdication of the company's identity - that, in response to the then-popularity of Les Pauls and the rise of the Japanese golden age, Gretsch apparently tucked its tail and mumbled "ok, we'll build Les Pauls with a Yamaha cutaway."

Predictably, the market largely preferred Les Pauls made by Gibson and Less Paul-alikes from Japan. And eventually Gretsch's true customer base - who, oddly enough, liked Gretsch Gretsch guitars, were left with no Gretschs at all.

Dang nice looking top. History of trying to beat Gibson with this is sad though.

That’s a later ’70s Roc Jet with Dimarzios as stated, in pic my ’75 & ’76 with Supertrons.

That’s a later ’70s Roc Jet with Dimarzios as stated, in pic my ’75 & ’76 with Supertrons.

– Steve111

I'm betting both of those sound killer through that Orange.

Got a favorite?

I'm betting both of those sound killer through that Orange.

Got a favorite?

– J(ust an old Cowboy)D

Yes, they do. The Country Roc is my favourite, that one just sings. Though I tend to use the 7613 more for rehearsals and gigs, guess I’m just afraid something shall happen the 7620.

Yes, they do. The Country Roc is my favourite, that one just sings. Though I tend to use the 7613 more for rehearsals and gigs, guess I’m just afraid something shall happen the 7620.

– Steve111

Cool, and a great position to be in.

No need to say "enjoy"........your're already doing that. Lol

Register Sign in to join the conversation