Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Weirdest Gretsch ?

NFI.

I was about to dismiss this as a '30's neck grafted onto, well, whatever this is, but maybe it's legit. That does look like a Gretsch pickguard. Insane price too.

IIRC Gibson or some other manufacturer had something like this in the '20's or '30's. I'll check my Tom Wheeler book if I remember tonight.

Ed?

I was ready to post up this one just from the title of the thread. But, I am kind of digging the guitar that you posted. It might be a little hard to balance on your knee, but it is definitely a conversation starter. You won't find many others with that guitar on the same bandstand.

...and it vacuums your floor while you're away.

I was ready to post up this one just from the title of the thread. But, I am kind of digging the guitar that you posted. It might be a little hard to balance on your knee, but it is definitely a conversation starter. You won't find many others with that guitar on the same bandstand.

– Ric12string

It's my nominee too, Bob.

Lloyd Loar, while with Gibson, made a series of round bodied instruments, from a mando to a double bass. This odd duck certainly looks similar.

When reading the title, I'd considered a Gretsch Bikini, a Bo Diddley, a Billy Bo as the oddest Gretsches.

This looks a little like the camp ukes that appear on the secondary market periodically, but I've seen one of these Rumba models in person, and they are quite large. No serial number on these, but they are early-mid 1930s.

I think they look cool as hell. Fretted Americana had one. Here are some of their pics.

And for the really stubborn banjo players who resisted the guitar fad into the late '60s before finally giving in, there was this.

Well now, that would make a great exclamation point at the end of the guitar line !!!

And for the really stubborn banjo players who resisted the guitar fad into the late '60s before finally giving in, there was this.

– Afire

I want to take that home and hug it and love it and call it "George."

Love those motorised banjo-y creations. Just the thing for Sunday afternoon in the garden annoying the neighbourhood.

Bob: I'm on the lookout for a new flat top -- recently a guy turned up at a local open mic with one of those orange Ranchers. He'd added a K&K acoustic transducer for an acoustic sounding option. I'm doing my best to resist!

Not vintage, but Ugly,as well as weird!

Doublenecks do violate design decency in the most egregious way.

– Proteus

But they might be just the answer for conjoined twins.

– Proteus

almost all of them, but the first model Gibson ones look cool I think, the semi-hollow ones.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gsta...

And I like the Joe Maphis/Larry Collins doublenecks a lot too. Can't think of any other ones that look good though.

almost all of them, but the first model Gibson ones look cool I think, the semi-hollow ones.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gsta...

And I like the Joe Maphis/Larry Collins doublenecks a lot too. Can't think of any other ones that look good though.

– WB

The early Gibsons, some Mosrites, maybe Carvins. Otherwise fugly across the board. Bigsby double necks are beautiful, but I acknowledge the possibility that they are actually hideous and I'm blinded by the overall mystique of these guitars.

Not vintage, but Ugly,as well as weird!

Ugly? No way!

Register Sign in to join the conversation