Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Warning: Grumpy Old Guy Post

First: there's no law against it, and this is not aimed at anyone in particular as I've probably passed along similar deals in the past. (insert winkie face here)

Here's the grumpy part: Like many others here I've spent way too many hours scouring ebay looking for that potential special deal on a part/guitar/amp/trinket whatever, only to find someone with "no financial interest" has posted a link to it for anyone to lazy to do the homework. Maybe these types of potential deal links are posted as a decoy to throw the hounds off the scent of something you're bidding on in the shadows, or more likely just sharing a good deal when you seen one. I suggest posting a link after the auction has ended. Give a guy a fish or teach 'em to fish etc etc.

Rant over. Hey, that felt pretty good. Now you kids get off my lawn.

Several members, myself included, have posted ebay deals or auctions on this forum. It doesn't necessarily mean we're trying to get someone to out bid you but to share a sale and comment and also to see what a particular items sells for money wise. I can only speak for myself but If I post one that I'm not interested in, it's usually because I think someone here may be interested and if I see someone say "I'm bidding on that one" I'll likely not bid as well. I have never posted a sale to begin a bidding war or get some body outbid by another but I do understand what you mean.

Bryan I disagree. If anyone is looking for a good deal, a link from a NFI party isn’t gonna throw anyone off. We will search anyway whether or not we got a link or not.

Nice well written gripe of yours tho.

Bryan, I am not upset by this practice, but somewhat baffled by it. Even more bizarre is the practice of posting a link to an auction that you are interested in and asking for opinions--for example, links to a Gretsch guitar on an online forum for Gretsch guitar enthusiasts! It is a questionable strategy at best... If I was really interested in something I don't think I would refrain from bidding on it because someone I "virtually know" on a guitar forum was also interested.

Funny post--I've often had the same thought!

Someone needed to say it Bryan, so thanks for sharing your perspective. But I will say this, everyone’s an interested party until it comes time to open the wallet and the percentages drop real quick. Great deals sit in the Garage Sale section for weeks. I understand that though, because if something’s not on my radar, it’s just not.

The other thing is this...the last time I saw an auction go un-noticed was sometime in 1996, 3 am.

Ah man, don't be grumpy, it makes your intonation go sharp.

I don’t understand the problem. Are you complaining about someone here posting a PSA about something cool they found on the web? I, for one, appreciate these heads up posts.

Someone here posted about an eBay auction for a Custom Shop Gretsch. Only because of that posting did I find it and I ended up buying the guitar for a favorable price. I probably would never have seen the guitar but for that post. And no one else expressed any interest in it. So, I am grateful that someone with NFI did post about it.

But, I do understand your point of view.

Sounds a little like you recently "lost" a guitar you were interested in because information traveled and someone acted before you did (if Reverb) or the auction went higher than you hoped (Ebay).

I get the disappointment, and in this situation I can certainly understand your perspective.

But I can't imagine that in many such situations there's any collusion between sellers and disinterested parties who post heads-upses. I mean, maybe I'm just not paranoid and cynical enough, but that wouldn't even occur to me - unless there was something obvious in either listing or heads-up that made it specifically suspect.

If I run across something I'm very interested in, I usually don't broadcast it till I've either landed it or let it pass. If I run across something I know an individual GDP-er might like, I'll usually give them a private heads-up - so as to protect their chances at it.

And if it's something that I think might be of general interest to the GDP population, I'll post a link with a clear conscience.

Seems to me that's the way commerce now works, protecting interests of buyers and sellers equally, and I don't find any ethical gotchas in the practice.

I get it. At least as far as auctions go. I don't personally care because I'm not an active buyer scouring for deals. But when I was spending countless hours seeking poorly done eBay listings, misspelled listings, misidentified guitars, etc., i.e. listings where the shoddy, lazy work on the seller's part could mean a great deal for me, I did care. It does seem a bit unfair when you put in a great amount of work into finding the obscure deals, only to have somebody else who's done no work outbid you because your obscure deal got outed on a forum by a well-meaning friendly soul. Again, to me, this only applies to auctions where you have to sit and wait and hope nobody else spotted it. If it's a straight sale and you have the chance to pull the trigger but hesitate, then that's your own fault.

The considerations on Ebay are a bit different. I was thinking of Reverb, where anyone can end the sale right now, just by buying - and all have equal chance to submit an offer.

Spreading the word is a good thing, and the 'Net has made it super easy to tell folks from Bangor to Beruit about a great deal in Bombay, 'tis sure. It's the new "reality", and part of this here "global economy" we seem to be part of.

But in a way, isn't it really not that different from situations we've all been in out in the so-called "real" world? How many of us have rec'd calls from friends or co-workers who are aware of our interest in (say) nickel-plated table legs, and who have just passed a store with a sign in front advertising a "Great sale!" on nickel-plated table legs.

They call you, you leap into you chariot du jour and venture out, only to find that they "sold the last one this morning..." or something along those lines.

It's certainly happened to me. I "lost" a very nice Peavey combo amp some years back that way, but as my wife pointed out- I never really had it in the first place.

Ebay and Reverb (etc) are just stores, after all. If I see nickel-plated table legs {why oh why did I pick a four word example??!?} and know that my buddy Abernathy needs a set, I can't see a reason not to let him/her know about it.

(In fact, I told Dale about a seemingly great deal on a gently used Taylor he seems to be GASsing about just a couple of days back. Luddite in training as I am, I even considered phoning him, but all those numbers and letters in the Ebay ad put me off, so I emailed him.)

Just my thoughts. Now, back to the search!

I guess it would make sense to PM or email someone that you knew was interested instead of making it public. I may just start doing that. Guess my Shopgoodwill thread will be dying soon.

I guess it would make sense to PM or email someone that you knew was interested instead of making it public. I may just start doing that. Guess my Shopgoodwill thread will be dying soon.

– Suprdave

No need to feel sorry. This is one man‘s rant about losing something he never had. I mean... what’s the deal? You didn’t get a piece of gear ultra-cheap? Way below what it is actually worth? Ever thought of the guy selling? He/She is like you and me also. What do you think a(n honest, as he/she could place fake bids) seller feels if he/she gets low bids only and needs to sell? This medal has two sides, people.

Why in the spirit of incomplete disinterest, I myself have three 32-channel mixers on Reverb right now - two Mackie SRs and a Peavey Sanctuary - at considerably below market value, as each has a problem with one output out of 40 or so altogether.

Here's where the disinterest comes in: they aren't mine. They're not my business partner's either. They belong to his church, where they were just gathering dust. (But not, you know, enough to damage they little innards, of course! Figure of speech. I could have said "doing the backstroke," but that implies water damage, which they haven't got either.)

I don't know, maybe I'll get 10% for listing them or something. But they're pretty cheap! Cheap cheap cheap!

Please, tell EVERYONE.

https://reverb.com/shop/gas...

I love Peavey PA equipment.

It would be great to have a thread where everyone listed their Reverb or eBay stores.

I'm not expressing a personal opinion on whether or not the practice of 'heads up' posts is good or bad, but it is a valid point. My feelings are neutral, but I can see how it would be a disappointment if I found something I really wanted, with hopes of a good deal, maybe even an 'under-the-radar' deal, and then it was broadcast to many other potential buyers, thus potentially driving the price up. I know of one fly fishing forum where the practice is not allowed.

– Suprdave

For the love of Pete, WHEN did it become not okay to spread great news among friends. My Facebook friends help me & I them. But, I learned by the Shepard Fairie Silver George print on GeorgeHarrison.com to get mine first--i had to pay triple, on ebay.

It’s an interesting discussion . Is opportunistic bargain hunting in itself a labour worthy of reward? I guess within the realms of capitalism a lot of wealth has been acquired that way.

What is the intention of sharing the link? is it purely ulturistic or is it to acquire a kind of social collateral within the group to whom you are sharing it with?

I doubt anyone would share it if they were bidding on it. If they did that would be real generosity.

I think the decoy theory is unlikely unless I completely underestimate the

I can appreciate the frustration but believe that the PSAs are posted with the best of intentions.

Putting it a different way, the point the OP is trying to make is that when it's an auction item (not fixed price) and it's Gretsch related in particular, it is likely there are more people here--on a Gretsch forum--who would be willing bidders.

The premise is more willing bidders = more likelihood of a bid up in price.

I've raised the same point previously because I thought I recollected at one point there was an unwritten norm around here that we did not do this and there was a small discussion to that effect maybe in January this year. I certainly remember there used to be a lot more "did anyone here get this?" after the auction than "NFI" during the auction which is a relatively new forum term and practice to me at least.

It certainly is a premise and "rule" that can be debated and discussed but it really has nothing to do about being upset over something one never had.

I doubt anyone would share it if they were bidding on it. If they did that would be real generosity. -- eCastro

Didn't I just do this recently when I posted about something being offered on Craigslist and then ended up buying it myself? In my case, not so much generosity but more stupidity!

I doubt anyone would share it if they were bidding on it. If they did that would be real generosity. -- eCastro

Didn't I just do this recently when I posted about something being offered on Craigslist and then ended up buying it myself? In my case, not so much generosity but more stupidity!

– Ric12string

I’m guessing you were trying to remove the temptation and failed :-p

I guess if I see something that I think is a good deal, but I'm not gonna buy it, I feel like I'm doing fellow GDP'rs a favor by posting it for them. But really, in these times, where everybody has knowledge of the price at which everything can be bought and sold, these "good deals" don't really come up very often. Speaking of Reverb, I never really realized the finality of the site, until I listed a strat I kinda sorta wanted to sell. I was sitting around one night and got an email saying "congratulations you sold your stratocaster!" The guy went on there, paid full price, and the guitar was no longer mine. It kind of caught me off guard a bit. Even though I listed it, I wasn't really prepared for the suddenness of it all!

Register Sign in to join the conversation