Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Vintage grover imperials

New here! Im after some grover imperials from the late 50s that are gold plated. Anyone have any they are willing to sell? Ready to pay for the right set. Thanks!

Well, welcome to all things Gretsch! First thing you have to clarify regarding these Imperials is whether you're wanting the small diameter posts or the larger diameter. There's a significant difference in size.

I had a '65 Gent in the early '90's when Grover wasn't making Imperials and finding older ones without the resources of the internet was almost impossible, and they were very pricey. When they did announce they were going to produce them again they sent a sample to a luthier I used but it was the thicker post and my Gent had the small diameter version.

Welcome! And since you're new here, maybe you'd like to tell us a bit about your vintage Gretsch while you're looking for the right tuners?

FWIF, I hate them.

– Billy Zoom

I'm trying hard Billy, but all I can come up with is 'Fellow of the World Innovation Foundation'

FWIW = For what it's worth.

Speaking of which, fwiw, the OP had posted this topic on another forum. In case he doesn't return here, he's not wanting these tuners for a Gretsch, but for a Gibson. I don't think he'll mind if I link that thread here: https://www.lespaulforum.co...

And Dave, I'm not sure the concern about post size is relevant, since he specifically wants a vintage set from the late 50's era.

And here it is...

And Dave, I'm not sure the concern about post size is relevant, since he specifically wants a vintage set from the late 50's era.

The thin posts didn't come out until the early/mid '60s.

Thanks, I wasn't sure when they thinner ones came out, perhaps in the Electrotone's early years.

FWIW = For what it's worth.

Speaking of which, fwiw, the OP had posted this topic on another forum. In case he doesn't return here, he's not wanting these tuners for a Gretsch, but for a Gibson. I don't think he'll mind if I link that thread here: https://www.lespaulforum.co...

– JimR56

Yep Jim I wondered if he wasn't going to put them on a Gretsch, which is why I asked him to post a picture of his guitar!

Anyhow, FWIF I see this set of gold Imperials got no bids and has been re-listed. I wonder how 'vintage' they really are ... they seem to have an awful lot of the gold plating left on them for a vintage set Link

They might be vintage in term of age, but they're the modern version with the one clipped mounting tab and astonishingly dumbed down stairstep buttons that came out in the '70s and are still being made.

Thanks for the pic, Afire. I didn't come across that one when I had tried a google search, and most of the images I found (including videos on Youtube) didn't show it in that level of clarity.

Could those be Gretsch arrow knobs on there? Certainly not black Gibson bonnets (which would have been stock), and they don't even look like Gibson reflector caps.

Register Sign in to join the conversation