Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Vintage Gold Grover Imperial Tuner Buttons

I've been looking everywhere (eBay, reverb, general google search) for gold tuner buttons to match the gold grover tuning machines. I'd rather not buy a whole set of vintage tuners just for the buttons. The modern ones have a different style of shaft and screws have a different thread.

Does anybody have a source for vintage buttons or good replicas?

Would it be nuts to have the chrome buttons gold plated at a jeweler or commercial plating co.?

I suppose you could get the buttons gold plated, and then relic the hell out of them to try and get them to match the rest of the unit. I've heard of guys going to greater lengths to get something right on their guitars.

Too bad you couldn't score a set of the earlier Imperials... just so cool!

Hello jps1965,

One of my customers had his Imperial buttons changed to Mother of Pearl ones some time ago. If you can't find any on your side of the 'Big Pond' I could ask him if he wants to get rid of them. Just get back with me if you want me to do that.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust www.guitarsgalore.nl

Also I don’t think you can gold plate over chrome, you need nickel underneath?

I suppose you could get the buttons gold plated, and then relic the hell out of them to try and get them to match the rest of the unit. I've heard of guys going to greater lengths to get something right on their guitars.

Too bad you couldn't score a set of the earlier Imperials... just so cool!

– kc_eddie_b

Ed,

Those early ones with the lines on each step are probably the correct style for 1958.

P.S. I just bought your 50's book on amazon can't wait to get it.

It can't hurt to ask.

Looks like your not far from my grandfather's homeland. He came from Rotterdam.

I have a set of the pearl ones that Hans mentions. They are brand new and are yours free of charge. I am also a bit closer in Ontario, Canada. Here is a picture. They have a more correct shape than the chrome ones you currently have. I had a hard time photographing the shaft side opening, but they are square, with rounded corners. If you want them, PM me your address and they're yours; they've been sitting in the parts pile for years.

Regards,

Chris

– MadScience

Thanks. But thats\'s getting further from the gold I'm looking for. The old style grooves have a flat part on the post on one side only. The new ones are flat on two sides.

Thanks. But thats\'s getting further from the gold I'm looking for. The old style grooves have a flat part on the post on one side only. The new ones are flat on two sides.

– jps1965

Not sure what you mean with those last two sentences. Are you saying that on your tuners the post that the knob slides onto, has a flat part on one side and not on the other? I'm quite sure that the Grover Imperials from the '60s that I've seen had the flat part on both sides. And I'm also quite sure that the tuners on my customer's guitar were like that as well!

What year are the Imperials on your guitar from? Can you double check this feature on the actual tuners?

Sincerely,

Ed's tuners would seem to from an earlier year. Very Cool art deco vibe. The mid to late 50s ones I've seen (and have on my convertible) are as JPS said, 3 steps but flatter on the sides, especially the smallest step. The tuners on his guitar are original 1958s EXCEPT for the buttons(I sold him the guitar) which for some reason a previous owner replaced, probably from a dislike for the worn gold plating look(which I happen to like) . It's very hard to find just the buttons. Gold 60s buttons would work if you want the plating to match. For me, on that guitar, the difference of the chrome ones stopped bugging me pretty quickly. Hit them with some steel wool if they're too shiny.

I'll probably wait it out and see if some pop up someday.

Well, make sure that you check what I asked for in posting # 10. I don't feel like asking my customer if I'm not sure that you will be able to use the knobs that he took off his Imperials

Sincerely,

Well, make sure that you check what I asked for in posting # 10. I don't feel like asking my customer if I'm not sure that you will be able to use the knobs that he took off his Imperials

Sincerely,

– Hans Moust

Thanks. I double checked each side of the tuner shaft is flat. The modern grover replacements are slightly smaller than the vintage ones. My turners are circa 1958.

Thanks. I double checked each side of the tuner shaft is flat. The modern grover replacements are slightly smaller than the vintage ones. My turners are circa 1958.

– jps1965

That's what I thought it should be! I'll ask my customer and will get back here if he wants to let them go.

Sincerely,

Register Sign in to join the conversation