Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Vintage Annies

The volume (space) inside an archtop made a real difference when they were acoustics instruments. With the advent of pickups, I think most would say the change of 1/4" in body depth wouldn't make that much sonic impact. To me, it's more about comfort of playing.

Can't help you with your friend... we all have former Gretsch guitars we wish we hadn't let go of. The vintage filtertron pickups in that '59 Annie of his are currently selling for $450 a piece on Ebay. The "best" TV Jones pickups are not fetching that much. So you can interpret that any way you want. The Terada models are reproductions of original designs. Even if they use the same materials and specs, they won't have 50+ years of seasoning. It's an argument that will never be settled. But again, on this side of the forum many will feel strongly that a great vintage example (admittedly, they aren't all great) sounds better than a great modern example.

Thanks, K. That makes sense. The older wood sure could make a huge difference in sound.

$450 per original pup? Holy cow! I can't even imagine cannibalizing a Gretsch, but I know folks do. That was the topic of a recent thread. Anyway, I won't mention your comments to my friend. He's hurting enough already, as it sounds like you might be as well.

For the record... 31367 is my 59 annie serial no. 2.75" thick.

I may be measuring this thing wrong, but I have 335xx and I believe it is 2 5/8... tell me what I'm doing wrong here :)

Delta - workmanship and quality is terrific on the new higher ends - my new Country Gent 62 is amazing, for instance. But regarding the Anniversary line - I tried the new double pickup Anniversary and it was also well made and looked great - but it really didn't compare at all from a playing and sound standpoint to my 59 single Anniversary. There is just a warmth and feel and ease of play - admittedly hard to describe - that the new one couldn't do... but I will say they really nailed the look in both the color and the parts -

Delta - workmanship and quality is terrific on the new higher ends - my new Country Gent 62 is amazing, for instance. But regarding the Anniversary line - I tried the new double pickup Anniversary and it was also well made and looked great - but it really didn't compare at all from a playing and sound standpoint to my 59 single Anniversary. There is just a warmth and feel and ease of play - admittedly hard to describe - that the new one couldn't do... but I will say they really nailed the look in both the color and the parts -

– Jerry Kitzrow

– JPK

Very well put. I prefer vintage-seasoned-aged over most of the newer built offerings, no matter how well they're done. Admittedly, I've never played a Custom Shop Gretsch, so I can't speak about those.

About the only new guitar that doesn't matter to me, are the Strats. I've only ever played new ones. But the vintage Fender basses have been so warm & open.......just outta my price range.

Ed,
I finally got to measure my '59 Annie from the #323xx batch. It's 2.75"!

Great! Thanks Danman! Now we've inched the window where the Annie model(s) changed from the original spec of 2.75" deep to 2.5" deep, somewhere between batch #323xx and #332xx. We need to confirm what Bwallace1's Annie is (batch #325xx). Anyone else happen to have one from this range that will assist in the effort?

Register Sign in to join the conversation