Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Vintage Annies

Is there any difference in the depth of the body between a '60 Annie, and a '67?

I seem to remember the earlier ones being thicker, but can't seem to find that detail info on here any longer.

Thanks

Joe

My '64 Annie is about 2.5" like my 1960 6120. I don't have my '59 Annie here now but I assume that would be 2.75".
I'm sorry, I don't have a '67 so can't measure that. A friend of mine has a red cats eye Annie that I could measure. I think it's later 60s and I assume they would be the same thickness as the normal Annies but that I don't know.

Thanks Danman, that helps very much. I was looking at 2 different Annies on fleabay last night, but I missed the '67 (very nice w/ excellent case for $750)!

I was sort of wondering if the '60 would be the same as a 6120, or this may even be a left over '59 body, and hopefully the thicker body.

My Annie was made in December of 66 and it is 2.5". I hope this helps.

It's funny to see how the Annie followed the 6120 in 50's and 60's but then stayed 2.5' when the 6120 went to 2.25 in '61. I'll try to get a measurement of my '59 Annie soon.

That's a great piece of information. You're right Danman, it'll be interesting to see how your '59 measures out.

Don't have my '59 Annie with me up here in New York, but I'm certain it's 2.5" depth. I think it's a later '59, however. 343xx series.

Interesting information. So the Annie perhaps never was 2.75" like the 6120?
Perhaps they made the 6120 thinner because they liked the feel of the Annie more? I guess we'll never find out.

That's interesting. Unfortunately, I haven't been tracking body depth on the Annie line. Much of my research is on the feature evolutions of visible aspects (gleaned through the analysis of photos). I do have a couple early examples documented, that confirm the 2.75" depth, but can't say which batch that changed. I don't seem to have any after the #320x example that JBJ shared, but until we get more data points, I can't be sure.

However, I have been tracking fretboards on Annies, and for a long time I theorized that the #320xx batch was when the fretboards changed from 22 to 21 frets. Lately I've narrowed that down to late examples from the batch just prior (#317xx)... but it begs the question if these changes were related, and in fact represent the 1960 model year for Annies.

Here too is where the GDP database can bring some value. If we think this #320xx batch is the change-over point, we should seek out Annie examples from either side of that group to validate the theory. Danman's Annie (referenced above) is from the #323xx batch (there were also 50 Annies made in the #322xx batch), but it's close enough to add value to this discussion. GDPer bwallace1 owns an Annie from the #325xx group. It would be interesting to see if his supports the theory. Likewise John Butler (TM1) has one from the #320xx group, and JBennett has one from #313xx. That's a good enough range to prove or debunk the #320xx was the last of the 2.75" deep bodies and some of the earliest 21 fret examples. So gentleman... check those guitars!

Mine (320XX) has 21 frets and an ebony board, light trestle bracing Ed.

yeah... I'm wondering now if that shouldn't be considered a 1959 model year feature change. Just for reference, the earliest super-shallow/Hilo Clipper I've documented is at #315xx, and the earliest rounded cutaway/Hilo Rambler is at #319xx (both considered 1959 model year introductions). I mis-spoke above when I suggested 1960.

Great info. Ed I'll try to find out the depth of my #323xx asap. I do know that it has 21 frets but that we had figured already....

Great info here. I'm learning a ton of stuff, and love the vintage Annies (especially the sunburst models).

I have a 60 anniversary at home. I'll measure it when I get home. It's way thicker than my Terada built double Annie.

My 65 Double Annie is 2.5" as well... but I guess that does not add a lot to the conversation!

Through all this exchange of information, I'm learning more about not only the Annies, but the intricacies of the Brooklyn built Gretsches.

My Annie has a bound neck & zero fret. Bear and I were talking, and he figures they probably used an available 6120 neck on it, and kept production humming.

I'm looking into a possible '67 Annie, has a bound neck, but no zero fret. I fairly sure with some things like tuners (etc), they just grabbed what was available at their station.

But the inconsistencies in production is something I really like with the vintage Gretsches in general, Annies in particular. Sort of makes each one special, I think.

My 320XX Annie is 2.75" deep, 21 frets and an ebony fingerboard. Another interesting feature i've noticed on some 59 Annies (including mine) is that the Gretsch headstock logo changed to the older squared off logo used in the mid 50's.

November '67 Anniversary here. 2.5 inches.

My 2006 Anniversary is 2.5" thick and my 1959/60 is 2.75"...

So... the closest we can narrow it down for the body depth on Annies going from 2.75" to 2.5" is sometime between batch #320xx and #332xx. Sounds close, but there were 5 batches of Annies in that range.

Anyone else out there with a '59/60 Annie from this period that might help shed some light? Danman... did you have a chance to check your #323xx?

From other posts I've heard Terada Gretsches generally sound better than the older Brooklyn Gretsches. Would this hold true with the Annies? What effects would its thickness have on the "Gretsch Sound"?

HA! I think you'll find some push-back on that statement over here on this side of the forum Delta!

To be honest, I'm trying to console a friend. 10 years ago he sold his 59 Annie and has been kicking himself since. I really have heard others say they like the Terada sound better. I thought if it held true here, I would let him know to help assuage his pain.

Seriously though, would a Gretsch's thickness affect the Gretsch growl, or is it more of a pickup thing?

Register Sign in to join the conversation