Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Value of old synchro

I’m thinking about getting this old girl. First of all is it a solid top? What year is it and what’s it worth put back together???

I don't know what it's worth but Man, you come across some of the coolest stuff.

And that's just the Living Room...!

Those that are on The Road collect the best stuff at the best prices...

Post-war Synchro 100. Laminate top; seem to be selling for $600-1200. You could get a modern synchro repro bridge for $30-40. The originals had white button Waverlys which may be what this has. The pickguard looks to be in great shape.

I say check out those other cases in back of pix- good find tho.

That headstock shape only ran a few years- ‘46 to 51 or so? Got a serial number? Ed will be on in a few to give you the exactitudes.

The serial number should be hand penciled inside the bass side sound hole. That will help peg the vintage, but these were made through the war years and into the late 40s.

Don’t pay too much, that ain’t no L7

– JazzBoxJunky

I sold the L7 it was a fabulous guitar but just didn't need it

Post-war Synchro 100. Laminate top; seem to be selling for $600-1200. You could get a modern synchro repro bridge for $30-40. The originals had white button Waverlys which may be what this has. The pickguard looks to be in great shape.

– lx

Damn I was hoping it was a solid top can't have much volume as a laminant

– paul pigat

If you are looking for a solid top fixer-upper, pm me.

I sold the L7 it was a fabulous guitar but just didn't need it

– paul pigat

You forgot to offer it to me!

My friend Dale had a very similar laminate top synchro, it was at best 'okay' sounding acoustically

You forgot to offer it to me!

– Toxophilite

I have a line on another if u r serious

I had one of those. I liked it so much I traded it for a 40s Gibson lapsteel.

I’m out. Life is too short for mediocre guitars

I’m out. Life is too short for mediocre guitars

– paul pigat

That needs to be on a T-shirt!

That needs to be on a T-shirt!

– kc_eddie_b

Absolutely! Followed by "Get yourself a Gretsch" with a logo. By the way, Paul, Ed, I'm stealing this.

Absolutely! Followed by "Get yourself a Gretsch" with a logo. By the way, Paul, Ed, I'm stealing this.

– Olivia Anne

Only if Joe Carducci hasn't stolen it from you already!

– Olivia Anne

I get a free shirt!!

And if the company used it a free guitar!!

I have a line on another if u r serious

– paul pigat

Wow phone talk!

I guess I could only afford one these days if it was a serious project. Most Gibsons are priced beyond my lifestyle.

As I was at one point looking for a Byrdland for me it's more like:

"Life is too mediocre for short guitars"

Wow phone talk!

I guess I could only afford one these days if it was a serious project. Most Gibsons are priced beyond my lifestyle.

As I was at one point looking for a Byrdland for me it's more like:

"Life is too mediocre for short guitars"

– Toxophilite

Ha!!!

– paul pigat

I don't believe this laminate top won't have the sound/tone you'd be happy with Paul. Not near my Synchro you played at the guitar show a few years back.

Now the one listed on the SF Craigslist is what you'd be happy with. Mine is a '42 and has the same close grain spruce top like this one. In the looks dept, this has the original chromatic/harp tailpiece, Art Deco rosewood bridge/base and the all metal button tuners. Neck looks good but the action seems a tad high. You could get Frank in the Netherlands to make you a beautiful 3 ply bound tort guard for it if you're so inclined. Nice flame maple on the back as well and the headstock inlay IMO, is very classy! All in all a very clean copy for a 78 year old guitar. Bet it has a lovely tone and big voice! This model is 1000% superior to all those cheap orchestra models you continuously see for sale.

I don't think it's priced too much out of line with the market in general, given its all original and clean condition. You don't see these a lot and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a cleaner copy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation