Other Equipment

TECH21 Blonde test

So I have a lead on a 1960 Gretsch 6120. Very nice condition, except changed to 1960's Gibson humbuckers. What do you suppose a guitar like that would be worth. I have been out of the Gretsch loop for a while, ever since I bought 2 Gibson L-5's that I fell in love with. But this chance at the 6120 is tempting. Any ideas on a value?

So I have a lead on a 1960 Gretsch 6120. Very nice condition, except changed to 1960's Gibson humbuckers. What do you suppose a guitar like that would be worth. I have been out of the Gretsch loop for a while, ever since I bought 2 Gibson L-5's that I fell in love with. But this chance at the 6120 is tempting. Any ideas on a value? -- deitzel

Gibson buckers? ouch...

Hey Deitzel, got any photos?

Gotta say I miss your posts on fixer upper modded Jets!

If the the thing has been routed then I would say 3k to 4.5.

If it has PAFs then buy it !!!!

It's a good deal if you can get it for under 5k USD

Let's see some photos and that will help.

That's gotta take a big hit on the $ value. 8-o

OTOH, if you just want the sound and vibe of and old Gretsch at a reasonable price, TV Jones will make you a happy guy.

Just don't be surprised if you have a hard time selling it later - and pay accordingly now.

And you have to post pix of the L5's. You can't just drop a bomb like that without sharing.

Yeah, I didnt mean to discourage you from buying it. Just blurting out my personal opinion. The "ouch" had nothing to do with value which was actually your question.

Good luck!

That's my dream guitar, right there. Sans the Gibbson buckers, of course.

So under $4000 would be a decent deal even with the mods? -- deitzel

Personally, I'd have a hard time with anything over $3000 for hybrids of this nature. A HUGE part of the classic (and neo-classic) Gretsch mojo are the pups. I'd check to see if this piece could be restored to stock without further surgery. If not then you've got to consider it purely on it's own (no longer vintage) merits. Just the way I see it...

Wow, for a good price I would get it and put some P90's in it. That would sound amazing!

A few points--one made by gasmoney that seems to need reiterating.

1) There is a cowboy case. That should add--what--$500 to the value?

2) Check the knobs closely. They look like they may not be original but that could just be the glare.

3) Establish the date of those pick ups. If they are Gibson and were put in right when the guitar was made they will have more value than the guitar (in other words if they are genuine PAF pick ups). As it's at least feasibly possible this occured because of the guitar's vintage it's worth investigating.

In the market panic of October 2008 I saw a 1960 6120 that looked pretty sound go for $6500 or so. If that sort of genuine price is still in play now then I think some of the estimates here on value with those dumfukker pickups are pretty good but--as pointed out above--you have to keep in mind that it will be a harder sell on down the line.

Good point on 3! IF they are truly PAFs. Remember though that the whole mod trend didn't really start until at least 20-25 years after this instrument was built so whoever changed them probably didn't do it until relatively lately in the guitar's history. So definitely follow knavel's suggestion to establish their vintage.8-)

Danman has a point...

K

Remember though that the whole mod trend didn't really start until at least 20-25 years after this instrument was built so whoever changed them probably didn't do it until relatively lately in the guitar's history. -- General_Lee
Country and jazz players were modding their guitars in the 1950s and 60s, by the 1970s it was pretty popular with rock guitarists.

The original post says "changed to 1960s Gibson humbuckers" so it would seem someone has some knowledge about the history of this guitar. If they are indeed 60s Gibsons then worth a look to see if good luck cometh and that "60s" was 1960 or 61 (they were still using PAFs in 61 right? I don't know a lot about Gibson).

It will be coming from the original owners. I am getting photos of the pickups. One knob was changed and 1 switch was changed. I think I am going to buy it.

Yes if that 6120 has PAF's in it man the pickups will pay for the guitar and then some. They were still using PAF's into 61

As long as the gibson plastic surrounds and screw holes can be hidden by the gretsch surrounds then its not such a bad deal.

Good luck with it.

Yes if that 6120 has PAF's in it man the pickups will pay for the guitar and then some. They were still using PAF's into 61

As long as the gibson plastic surrounds and screw holes can be hidden by the gretsch surrounds then its not such a bad deal.

Good luck with it.

Even if they are early patent number pups, the are worth quite a bit. I see sets of black and even white connect wire pups from 61-64-ish go for $500-1000 each. I had a few I sold in that range. A 57-60 PAF (if authentic) will go for around $2500 for double black and a bit more for Double whites. At one point, a set of double whites sold for $10k. But the market is down quite a bit right now.

If the pups are anything newer...the price goes way down. I think T-Tops are in the $150-200 range with sticker or $100-125 range with stamped numbers on the back.

Joe

One other quick note. The bridge looks pretty far back (compared to the points of the F holes). I would make sure it intonates well. The Gibson Pickup looks to be added at the back side of the original route and not the front side. This leaves very little room for that bridg to move forward into place.

I would give $3k for it for sure! I would sell the buckers regardless of what they are and either put a bucker mount P90 in or try to make some filters work.

I would pay 3000,- for that as well. Good luck!

the guitar look beautiful

Lovely ,go get it my man!:D

I wish i could find deals like this,but there's no hope of that happening here in the UK/Ireland or Europe for that matter!

Register Sign in to join the conversation