Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Valuation on a 1958 Anniversary question

I have a 1958 Anniversary which looks like it started out as a single anniversary and someone added a pickup to make it a double.. Original two tone green finish, Added tone knob on the body, TV Jones Pickups, Schaller tuners. Other than the mods and non original case its very clean... Its a beautiful guitar... Vintage PAT # Bigsby too... Trouble is trying to value it with the mods.. Finish is in amazing condition and the guitar plays very well....Any tips would be appreciated as it will be up for sale shortly. Thank you!

That is a tough call. Generally mods as cool and improved as they are don't add or even maintain value. Have learned the hard way many times. PIx looks bamboo yellow tho.

I usually start with what it might be worth without the mods... if it were in all original and great condition. It has good features... trestle bracing, 2-tone finish, and Filtertron pu... which would make this model 6125 a $1800-2200 prospect depending on condition, original case, etc.

Now from the "players" perspective the mods might be deemed a plus... having that extra Filtertron pu, and the Bigsby B6 (which appears period correct). So even with the mods... it may still hold the lower-end of that original value to that type of buyer. Although there are new reissue Annie's with these same features available for about the same money, this one is a legit "late '50s Gretsch", and the mojo factor works to your benefit.

From a "collectors" perspective however, the mods are a bummer. They seem well-executed, and with quality components (although the dark pu bezels seem out of place), but the reality is that they are irreversible and the label probably says 6125 reminding future owners that the guitar's 6118 looks are an illusion. So for this type of buyer, the mods (however utilitarian) will reduce their interest to something less than the lower end of the "all original" value.

But.. you never know. Super-clean 50s Gretsch examples, even the Anniversary, which is one of the most common of the vintage models, are getting harder to find. If this Annie is as clean as you say, and she plays really well, perhaps there's someone out there who'll shell out "non-modded" money for her. As a seller, it never hurts to ask for the higher end, as you can always go down on your price. Best of luck!

I just sold one of these conversions (mine was from 1960) up here in Canada. The most I could get was $1300 CAD. That's under a grand USD. I had one offer from the US for $850. Yours looks like it might be in better condition than mine, so maybe you could try for $1200 USD? You could save a bit by replacing the TV Jones pups with less expensive ones and the same goes for the tuners; upgrades don't seem to increase resale values.

The used market is very strange right now; asking prices are way up and still not much selling at those prices. One guy up here wanted $2750 CAD (over $2000 USD) for a 6120 from 2008; wouldn't even consider going lower. I got the same guitar (same run from the look of it) for $1500 USD. (waiting.....waiting.....)

I guess the value to YOU is what counts. Probably a great guitar, but if you're not attached to it..........maybe it's time to sell. Best of luck.

For all my time looking at all things Gretsch, I think this may be the first time I've seen someone mod a dual filtertron system into a deArmond knob (and wiring?) aesthetic.

I fairly recently sold an original 1959 6118. To be honest if I were looking for a two filtertron vintage Anniversary I'd rather have yours--I like not having to fret and sweat over every ding and be able to walk around these narrow-hallway small room old English houses and be able to bump into walls.

You have had the best possible advice above from KC Eddie.

I just sold one of these conversions (mine was from 1960) up here in Canada. The most I could get was $1300 CAD. That's under a grand USD. I had one offer from the US for $850. Yours looks like it might be in better condition than mine, so maybe you could try for $1200 USD? You could save a bit by replacing the TV Jones pups with less expensive ones and the same goes for the tuners; upgrades don't seem to increase resale values.

The used market is very strange right now; asking prices are way up and still not much selling at those prices. One guy up here wanted $2750 CAD (over $2000 USD) for a 6120 from 2008; wouldn't even consider going lower. I got the same guitar (same run from the look of it) for $1500 USD. (waiting.....waiting.....)

I guess the value to YOU is what counts. Probably a great guitar, but if you're not attached to it..........maybe it's time to sell. Best of luck.

– Journeyman

Good perspective... and nice to hear about an actual experience. But with respect, a 1960 Annie and a 1958 Annie are different prospects... apples to apples I would say the ‘58 would command $500-750 more between the two if all else were equal. And since a “player” would seem to be the higher potential buyer I wouldn’t dilute the features like pu and tuners, as that will lessen the value to a player. Just my opinion though... I’m 3 beers into Happy Hour!!

Thanks for the tips!

I was thinking in the $2000 USD range as I've seen original versions selling lately on reverb within the $2500-$3500 range for mint examples..

I'll be listing it shortly locally and see what happens.. I'll include an ebay link if it ends up there after a few weeks of trying locally first.

Thanks again for the tips... PS... if anyone here wants to make an offer feel free to PM me.

Sorry for the previous bad pics... Here are some better ones...

It's a great looking guitar orange, and would be a guilt free and affordable 6120 alternative for many of us.

TBH the tuners would bother me more than the added pickup, tone knob and Bigsby - which I'd be delighted about - so long as the price is right.

Good luck

Man I love those smoke green Annies. So yummy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation