Vintage Gretsch Guitars

trolling GC vintage

G-indent knobs and longer truss rod cover = later than '55.

I agree, they sometimes have a great (looking) vintage guitars, but the zero information makes it hard for many guys to consider spending thousands of dollars I'm sure. I suppose it works for them or they wouldn't do it this way.

I bought a '54 6128 from the GC site many years ago. The price was decent, but after negotiating for the guitar with whatever GC store manager I was dealing with he then told me that the case would be a separate deal. I told him to keep his case.

Sometimes their misinformation works to the buyer's advantage.

So...'56? '57?

Dynas and block inlays. Can't be later, can it?

Misinformation on GC has worked to my advantage. The kids there are thinking in modern world terms about old stuff they really don't know much about.

So...'56? '57?

Dynas and block inlays. Can't be later, can it?

– Proteus

Bell-shaped truss rod cover, block inlays and G knobs = 1956.

Bell-shaped truss rod cover, block inlays and G knobs = 1956.

– Afire

I would guess this 6131 is from the #211xx batch of Jets, as I have documented some of the earliest G-indent knobs (on Jets) as well as the last of the block marker examples in the early part of the batch. George Harrison's famous '57 6128 is from later in this batch (#21179) and it features the hump-block inlays which are attributed to the '57 mode year. I would consider the first 50 guitars of this batch as the last of the '56 model year Jets, and the second half (fully transformed) examples as the first of the '57 model year.

Register Sign in to join the conversation