Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Too Hot to play my guitar … !?

When I'm sweating in my own house with the air conditioning and fan on me, and its already after 9:30 at night, then it's just too hot to get out my guitar and play it. Anyone else having these same feelings lately?

When I'm sweating in my own house with the air conditioning and fan on me, and its already after 9:30 at night, then it's just too hot to get out my guitar and play it. Anyone else having these same feelings lately?

– Frank Hurn

Not at the present, but I do occasionally feel like that whenever I play outdoor daytime summer events here in the south. Usually though, it's the choking humidity and the accompanying respiratory stress that bothers me more than the actual heat.

I've got COPD and heat stress. AC keeps me alive.

i live in a 5th-floor apartment without A/C. since heat rises, when it gets into the high 90s as it did last week the climate there is unbearable and it's really difficult to do much of anything at home other than sleep and browse the internet on my phone. i literally worked overtime last weekend just so i could spend those hours in an air-conditioned office, and it's not uncommon for me to go for 3- or 3-hour recreational drives in the countryside cos the Matrix's AC is really good. the weather is more bearable now, but when it's really hot i sweat so much that the guitar sticks to my shirt. it's so hot then that my cat spends all her time lying under the clothing rack in the bedroom where my floor fan's intake presumably creates a slight breeze. you can't even imagine how much i miss the weather in San Francisco.

For my arm against the guitar I cut off the top portion of old socks to use as a “wristband” on my forearm. Not a great look, but it helps.

Get a de-humidifier.

– Suprdave

I've got that, too. Gotta keep the bunker dry.

When I say Dehumidifier I mean for the house of course. We have one in our living room and this time of the year it isn't uncommon for me to dump up 2 gallons of water per day. It also makes it feel cooler in the house overall. An air conditioning unit natural dehumidifies the air somewhat but in the Mid-west we get very humid conditions and this year it's been awful, up until thew past few weeks. but 72 degrees in a dehumidified house feels way cooler than 72 in one without. Plus you don't sweat as bad at night. One can also be installed on your home air/furnace assembly and be routed into your drain.

I live in a basement. Highly recommended. Naturally cooler than outside in summer, warmer in winter.

It's much cooler on Mars, I'm told. That's where we can go when we're done with this planet's climate.

Once the techs work out a substitute for earth's magnetosphere, we'll be ready to go.

Frank, I agree it's too durn hot to pick a guitar, especially in Oklahoma. I'm your distant neighbor way down south in Duncan, OK. Might'a met ya at one of the old Oklahoma Fingerstyle Guitar Association get togethers. I really think I'd better come on up and get that ol' 6122-1958 and keep it here before the heat gits to it!! I did hear that it was so hot down around the Red River that all the corn in the field popped, the cows saw it and thought it was snow and froze to death!! Now THAT'S hot! And a might WINDY!!!! Steve

I dunno Tim.....Basements in older houses built before AC was common can be mighty humid. The other day I was working on a project in my basement, and I felt like I needed a shower before I went somewhere.

We have air conditioning but the heat’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it for now.

Register Sign in to join the conversation