Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Tommy E. Plays Chet’s prototype 6120 - “Dark Eyes”

Don't know if this has been posted on here before (sorry if it has), but I stumbled on this nice video of Tommy Emmanuel playing beautifully as always, on Chet's "Dark Eyes" 6120.

I'm coming up short on what the tune is.

That guitar was certainly an important step along the way. Tommy sure makes it sound pretty.

One of Tommy's best efforts on an iconic guitar. It's because he can play like this that I have no time for those speedy shredding jams he gets into. IMO, Chet would tell him to stop that nonsense if he were still here!

Well . . . Tommy E is a superb entertainer, and he has a very good sense of what most of his audience wants to hear. Hence some fast-paced tunes as well as lovely melodies such as this one.

The UTube header states that the song he is playing is called Clara's Theme (named for his current wife).

Great clip, thanks for posting it!

One of Tommy's best efforts on an iconic guitar. It's because he can play like this that I have no time for those speedy shredding jams he gets into. IMO, Chet would tell him to stop that nonsense if he were still here!

– Windsordave

Even Chet wouldn't have wanted every song to be a ballad. Fast tempo, quick-fingered songs are important to have. Chet could burn pretty fast himself. And I doubt that Chet would have the temerity to tell Tommy to stop doing anything. Tommy is one of the greatest guitarists to have ever lived. He gets a pass on anything that he wants to do.

I agree to a point Bob, but there's very fast playing that suits the song; Dizzy Fingers and Tiger Rag for example that would need velocity to be effective, and then there's taking a song with an high tempo and trying to play it super fast just to prove you can do it. That doesn't impress me one bit as it isn't really a song anymore, just a fingerboard exercise, good for private practice but not IMO entertaining in the slightest.

When I hear that, I wonder how many Redbulls the guitarist has consumed!

Tommy doesn't need to prove he's fast, just as Richard Smith doesn't, those two being at the pinnacle of today's players but I've seen both get caught up in speed-is-the-only-thing-that-matters shredding sessions that I just turn off. Guy Van Duser & Pat Donahue are another pair of the very best and while fast at times, the tempo always suits the composer's intent.

I’ll say it...Tommy has nothing to prove and surely isn’t trying. Just look at his face, he absolutely loves to play. Yes, it gets wild and crazy at times, and perhaps not to some listener's personal taste. But, of course, there are fans who will sit on the edge of their seats and hear every note and find that Tommy's amazing dexterity, speed, and choice of phrasing completely mind blowing.

I know I do.

Tommy IS flat out amazing, I remember I saw him up close and personal once, at CAAS, near Joe C.'s Gretsch display, just playing in the afternoon for a few onlookers who happened to be standing around. I don't know whether it was an impromptu song workshop I stumbled onto, or he just figured "I got a circle around me, better play something dazzling." Anyway, he walloped and tickled that acoustic until it sat up and begged.

And what Deed said — you can always see he deeply feels the music he is playing. Very in the moment. I will say I really liked this "other" style from Tommy, so sweet and lyric — a fine contrast to his wilder stuff that dazzles, and it's one beautiful composition.

PS: I don't know how I missed the name of the tune, but I guess it was a hasty post.

Tommy's playing is an extension of his personality. He is gregarious, outgoing, energetic and his playing reflects that. Plus, he understands that his job requires that, when he is front of an audience, he is there to be entertaining. There is no question but that he is that.

Three letters-CGP.
Chet Atkins named but 5. Tommy Emmanuel is up to the task of playing a Chet Atkins Gretsch prototype.

Register Sign in to join the conversation