Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Time machine quiz

I posted this about 5 years ago:

This is a magical view into a musical instrument store in the 1950's. There's a zoom and locator control: ''''The quiz question: What year in the 1950's is it?

http://www.ohiomemory.org/c...

Spit-balling, by the features of the Gretsches and Gibsons, I would say 1958 or maybe '59.

I’d say 1960, unsold inventory lagging behind.

Going by the Gibson amps -- and a wide panel Fender, I say mid 50s, since didn't the tweed Gibsons come after that 2 tone style?

The Gent is a single cut, so the earliest it could be is 1958

That wide panel all-tweed amp looks like a Gibson GA-9, circa 1958-59. Fenders of course had gone to the narrow panel a few years earlier than that.

Does the date mentioned in the photo's writeup count? Great old image, btw. A frozen moment that you just don't find any more.

Not to rain on the fun or anything....

(and WHY aren't the smileys working for me any more?)

This is awesome!!!! My former father-in-law said his band used to buy all their Vox amps, Ludwig drums, and Fender and Rickenbacker guitars there. That was one hoppin’ joint back when I was a toddler, all 6 floors of it. My mom worked there at the makeup counter before I was born.

Back in the mid-‘60’s, Lazarus used to hold teen fashion shows and the local heroes like The Dantes and The Rebounds played the dances after the fashion shows.

[sigh] America was a different place back then.

Does the date mentioned in the photo's writeup count? - Kevin Frye

D'oh! (smileys only work sporadically for me, btw) testing...

In the photo info it says "0riginal circa 1958-1959". Don't remember the music section, but I remember the sixth floor at christmas.

Wow -- that photo brings back ancient memories! It would be tough to find a music store today which devotes most of the floor space to pianos and guitars are relegated to a small corner, usually in the rear, and where accordions outnumber guitar amps.

That DOES look like a Country Gent so the photo must have been from '58 or '59.

Also a filter 6120 and Tenny, both with zero frets, so no earlier than '59. Great post.

There is a Gibson ES-225T guitar and they were made between 1955 and 1959 Thanks John

I love these old pictures, this one is from a year before I was born. Things certainly have changed, look at all the pianos, at least 6 accordions and a banjo (no bagpipes?). I was looking at the prices on some of the pianos, the higher end ones were approaching half the price of a new car in 58 - 59. I wish I could see the price tags on the guitars. Cool picture Mike, thanks for posting it!

The fact a department store had an actual set of vibes on sale impressed me. Don't see them in many full service music stores, even.

I love these old pictures, this one is from a year before I was born. Things certainly have changed, look at all the pianos, at least 6 accordions and a banjo (no bagpipes?). I was looking at the prices on some of the pianos, the higher end ones were approaching half the price of a new car in 58 - 59. I wish I could see the price tags on the guitars, I'm viewing the picture on my phone. Cool picture Mike, thanks for posting it!

I was there in '59, and that's how it looked.

All you that remember Lazarus: Where did you live and when were you there? Me: Born in Columbus Ohio 1953...I was at Lazarus countless times...I also loved Ziggy Coyle music store on High Street. My dad taught guitar there. Bought me my first electric in 1966.. I think I played "I'M NOT YOUR STEPPING STONE" about a million times. Oh, to think what my parents endured!

Cbus borned and raised. First music store I ever set foot in was O’Day’s. Got my first “real”, i.e. Ludwig to replace the MIJ kit I played for 8 years, from Williams Music. Bought metric tons of sticks and heads from Ziggy’s Reynoldsburg store, along with Whitey Lunzar’s German Village Music Haus.

I remember Swallen’s Audio sold Scheops and Telefunken mics along with stereos!

BTW I hatched in ‘64.

Born '54, grew up in Baltimore OH. Relatives in Columbus and we'd occasionally visit the big city. Lazarus was a yearly Christmas tradition, shopping with the womenfolk.

I didn't even know it had a musical instrument department, though. Never did business at music stores till I was in college, because my first electric came from Lancaster Sales (a very mini-Walmart-type discount house) on 33 South on the edge of Lancaster, and the second from B&B Loan (a pawnshop) on Gallia in Portsmouth. Strings (and records) came from Wolfe Drug Store, up the street in Baltimore.

When I did make Columbus music stores later - mid 70s and after - it was something in Reynoldsburg (an early Peavey dealer), occasionally German Village and Whitey Lunzar's a couple of times, then another guy on the west end on Broad Street. Forget the name. Small shop. I did some business with Gary Wolfe at the String Shoppe on High St (and before that, in college, with his partner at the first String Shoppe location in Delaware). In the 80s, I worked at Coffman Music in Lancaster (formerly McClurgs, now long gone).

I saw a lot of great shows at the Agora and The Castle, as well as Vet's Memorial. Also, the swimming pool in Baltimore - JD Blackfoot, Owen B, The Shaggs. That was all within earshot of my house. I went to a car show once in the basement of Vet's Memorial (is that right?) because Damnation of Adam Blessing was playing.

Yadda yadda.

Tim: The Shaggs???

As in “My Pal Foot Foot” The Shaggs???

No. A Baltimore band. Mid-60s.

No. A Baltimore band. Mid-60s.

– Proteus

Ahhh...roger that.

Jeez, I was going to say that if you actually saw the Shaggs and never bothered to share that story, that would be beyond unexpected.

Register Sign in to join the conversation