Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Think my Annie might be due for a “bindingectomy” soon

So, the binding on my '62 Annie is starting to feel a bit rough on the neck. There are sections that feel off and were glued back on and I can feel them when I play. It's not horrible, but at some point soon, I wanna get the binding replaced.

What's a good ballpark for how much it'd be to replace the binding on the neck?? Body will probably need it on down the road, but it's not horrible right now.

I don't think it would come anywhere close to the cost of doing the body. Maybe $200? It's only one ply, IIRC; if it's really falling off, the cost might even be slightly lower. $150 would probably be rock-bottom.

Do it now, and it will stop the rot from spreading to the body. And leave it out of the case!

It's not horrible, just a few bad sections. Not really falling of, and it seems stable, just feels a bit rough.

Too bad about that. '62 seems early for binding rot, although I know it shows up prior to the mid '60's when it began showing up in earnest.

The finish is chunking off pretty good too. Is the same thing happening elsewhere?

Curt can probably give you a pretty good estimate on replacing the neck binding. Good luck.

Ouch. Looks at least partly due to moisture. Might need a neck reset as well; all that finish chipping suggests that something is moving.

I was a bit of a basket case. The neck was removed from the body when I got it. Had a neck reset about 2 years ago now. Finish was like that already. I suspect the neck and body were stored somewhere less than ideal. Body is in good shape. Has some crazing on the top, and a bit of finish missing on the back, but nothing too bad. That bit in the pic is the worst, rest of the binding looks pretty good.

Too bad about that. '62 seems early for binding rot, although I know it shows up prior to the mid '60's when it began showing up in earnest.

The finish is chunking off pretty good too. Is the same thing happening elsewhere?

Curt can probably give you a pretty good estimate on replacing the neck binding. Good luck.

– Windsordave

Yep, was gonna contact Curt in a bit. He's the MAN!

See that spot under the thirteenth fret? Once it gets to that point, binding rot can become highly "contagious" and spread to other areas. It can also accelerate very suddenly, especially under humid conditions. By that I mean it could get about four or five times as bad in less than a week, maybe after nothing much happening for years. It's like a benign tumor that suddenly turns malignant.

Good to know that what looks like evidence of an unstable neck joint is no longer relevant. One less thing to worry about!

Register Sign in to join the conversation