Vintage Gretsch Guitars

The Vintage 6120 That Got Me Started

Found a 2015 concert by one of my favourite bands that has some great footage of the guitar that made me fall in love with Sloan. Around the 28-minute mark drummer Andrew Scott comes to the front to play his 15-minute rock opus Forty-Eight Portraits. Sloan are power pop legends who have delivered consistently great stuff since the 90s. Andrew writes the oddball stuff, and the other three write a lot of catchy stuff ranging from pop ballads to punk and rawk anthems.

Way back in the 90s I was always mesmerized by Andrew’s huge orange Gretsch. I believe it is a mid-60s 6120 with the mute removed.

I am the proud owner of a modern 6122-1959 which is a beautiful guitar. However it seems more polite than the Gretsch sound that guitars like this vintage 6120 put in my head. Woody. On the verge of feedback. I can get great rock sounds out of my 6122, but it always feels in control. I must say I love it when it feels like it’s all about to fall apart.

Here’s the vid:

For me, the beauty of the 6122-59 is that it has manners. Leave all that distortion to another guitar.

Not bad! I've never heard of these guys! They appear to be in their 50's which is cool! Nice to see older cats out doing shows like these.

I had a '67 once. It sometimes quite literally fell apart! I have a '67 CG now, and it's the same guitar in every respect except for cosmetics and the tuning machines. They're both good guitars, but prone to lots of issues, especially binding rot.

The '59 is another animal altogether. It's definitely made with more "polite" music in mind, but you may be able to coax some craziness out of it.

First Gretsch i ever bought was a mid 60's 6120,still got it too,bought back in 1988!

It's what i judge all Filter Tron Gretsches with,i even prefer it over my 50's Gent.

Bit of a derail, but about 15 years ago one of the secretaries where I work was a huge Sloan fan. They're pretty much unheard of over here and to this day I don't think I've ever met anyone else who's even heard of them. I was dabbling in oil painting at the time and looking for projects so she suggested I try painting one of the band for her. It may even have been this guy on bass, he does look familiar.

Up until this point I'd never heard of the band and other than 2 or 3 mediocre attempts at oils my art experience was zero, so it was on track to be doomed from the art, but I seem to remember it came out not too bad and she was pretty pleased with it. I might have a photo of it somewhere, let me have a little look around.

1958 6120 went back and forth between my brother and I for over a half a century, when he was on the road he had it, otherwise I had it. Sold it last year as ,IMO, it needed to be played on the pro circuit. My new 5120 is every bit its equil, IMO. Where ever it is I hope its loved!

Not bad! I've never heard of these guys! They appear to be in their 50's which is cool! Nice to see older cats out doing shows like these.

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

Hard to fault a band who have been cranking out an album every two years or so for thirty years, all four write their own tunes. Their second album - Twice Removed - has been votes the greatest Canadian album of all time in a couple of polls too, above Neil and Joni.

A good starting point is the double album Never Hear the End of It which has a good representation of all their musical styles.

Myself an owner of a modern 6120DC this thread and a recent posting of Tobias Hoffmann playing an electrotone CG pique my curiosity of what (if any) sonic differences would be expected between the 6120DC Nashville and George era CG? I know the mutes may be different and a thread cited below mentions a possible difference in body size. I suspect not much as I can kind of hear the 6120DC out-of-phase sound on Tobias video. Another fine Canadian 6120DC player I always mention is Dale Murray for his work in Cuff the Duke.

Dale with Cuff the Duke at the 'Shoe

Tobias Hoffmann on G6122-1962

Electrotone CG vs 6120DC

Found a pic of it. Yep, seems to be the bass player guy. Is it Chris Murphy?

I had a pretty crappy digicam back in the day so it's not the best photo in the world, but you get the idea.

Found a pic of it. Yep, seems to be the bass player guy. Is it Chris Murphy?

I had a pretty crappy digicam back in the day so it's not the best photo in the world, but you get the idea.

– Deke Martin

Looks like Chris... although is that a cigarette in his mouth? As he said in their first single “I told that I don’t smoke or drink, she told me to loosen up on the way to the LC”. (That’s Nova Scotia speak for the Liquor Commission). He comes from a straight edge background.

No cigarette, that’s just the shape his chin is. You can see it if you zoom in on that thumbnail for the movie.

Register Sign in to join the conversation