Vintage Gretsch Guitars

The tale of two 1955 6121’s: the next chapter

Great work, Joe!

You planning on keeping this, or selling?

– crowbone

Keeping it, but everything is for sale at the right price. This one is just so bad @$$ in so many ways, I have a feeling it’s here to stay. Besides that I have a ton of hours in it.

I would really like a Filtertron Jet and this one almost got that mod. So I will be on the lookout for another Jet for sure. There was a 59 in the data base that was all stripped of its parts and color. I tried to reach out to the owner to see if it was available. No response.

Looking great! See if you can try and glue a tip on the guard

I’d love to find an old original thick guard for my 57 6128.

Looking great! See if you can try and glue a tip on the guard

I’d love to find an old original thick guard for my 57 6128.

– Setzer

You’re right Paul. Didn’t realize it was anything more than just a point.

Almost done. It’s sounds spectacular !!!

Need a few parts to complete it. - (4) knobs. - bullet truss rod cover - pickguard bracket and screws - felt pickguard spacer? (Fits under the guard to raise it up at the screw)

Almost to the end of this project. Just need to get some correct screws for the plastic. All late 50s- early 60s hardware and electronics (except modern CTS pots.

I still need to condition the leather, but it cleaned up nice so far.

And the cut down 58-59:TRC. Need some screws before drilling.

You're a miracle worker Joe! A real tranformation! Kudos!

Here's the guitar when I bought it... compared to Joe's revival!

Pretty fabulous. No one would guess it was the same guitar.

I'm with Bob Howard on the neck joint pics. They always make me queasy. It doesn't look like a good solid joint even when they come apart cleanly - like Gretsch maybe hadn't hit on the best process - and when they're a mess...well, they make me feel like if I was that guitar, I'd be afraid the woodpile was next. That they can be brought back solid always amazes me.

The fingerboard and headstock transformations are uncanny, and the plugging is done superbly.

Amazing stuff!

Ab Fab, Joe. I’m much impressed! Thanks for the pix!

I’m so far behind on this thread it ain’t even funny. Looking fabulous Joe (like we had any doubts...).

Did you find a felt spacer yet? I think I may have one. No promises, but I may...

I’m so far behind on this thread it ain’t even funny. Looking fabulous Joe (like we had any doubts...).

Did you find a felt spacer yet? I think I may have one. No promises, but I may...

– Deke Martin

Not yet Deke. You around Thursday? I’ll be in Croydon without a date.

Great job!

Turned out superb sir!

Fabulous work Joe! I love that a guitar that had been modded almost beyond recognition can be brought back to its former glory.

A fine rescue. Nice work

WOW!! You have created an incredible masterpiece, Joe! Truly a work of art!

Excellent job Joe!

Here's the guitar when I bought it... compared to Joe's revival!

– kc_eddie_b

I know there's an answer, and have a vague memory of it, but remind us why the western fingerboard on the before picture is no longer on the guitar. Was it repurposed?

I know there's an answer, and have a vague memory of it, but remind us why the western fingerboard on the before picture is no longer on the guitar. Was it repurposed?

– Afire

Yes... I bought the donor 6121 to get the fretboard, headstock overlay, and anodized gold Bigsby bridge. Each of those items are currently resting comfortably on my '55 6121. The fretboard and headstock overlay they replaced are now on Joe's refurb project... it was a synergistic opportunity!

Here's the benefactor of the fretboard, headstock overlay and bridge.

Register Sign in to join the conversation