Vintage Gretsch Guitars

The Surfaris” playing Gretsches! - RIP, “Jim Fuller”

Imagine the sound if they were plugged in!

One of the bummers from the early '60s was that R 'n' R bands never played live on TV. The Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan mostly brought that down. IHMO, one of the biggest contribution by the Beatles was to bring back live performances. Unfortunately, they were driven off the live stage by fans that didn't understand you should listen at a live performance.

I think I just earned my old man on the porch protecting his lawn license.

Geoff, which instrument did Jim Fuller play with the Surfaris?

Lee

We did a local TV gig back in the mid '60s. The studio engineers had no clue on how to deal with the volume of even a small garage band. The solution the local engineer has was to run our power at 90 volts. Guitar amps sounded bad enough, but my Farfisa sounded totally horrid. They wanted to use one or two mikes for the entire group, not one per amp and a few for the drums. They were clueless. It was far easier (and very common) for the engineers at the time to have a band lip sync their records.

Jim Fuller was the lead guitarist.

"Wipe Out" was originally recorded using a Fender Duo Sonic Guitar and a tweed Fender Champ Amp in 1962.

Hmm. Sad news about his passing. A true legend

Jim Fuller was the lead guitarist.

"Wipe Out" was originally recorded using a Fender Duo Sonic Guitar and a tweed Fender Champ Amp in 1962.

– Geoffrey E. Stich

Thanks Geoff. Wipe Out was definitely one of tunes that my band played at the time. Like many of the bands I've talked to, our drummer dropped a stick on that tune. I suppose it's good to stretch, but it's made me a cautious adult.

The Surfaris were an influence in my guitar playing. Sad to hear Jim Fuller has gone down.

Lee

Wipe Out! Surfaris thought of as a Fender band, of course, But when the Brit Invasion arrived with hollowbodies, Fender wasn't all that cool at the tim -- hard as that might be to belive today.They were associated with the surfing scene, which by 1965 was old hat.

Hence the whole Fender Coronado scene because they wanted to get in on the hollowbody action.

Register Sign in to join the conversation