Vintage Gretsch Guitars

The Guitars My Father Left Me

Wouldn't the 6120 actually be a 1965 model? My 6120, serial number 72253 has it's original 1965 pots whose codes are 1376516 (CTS, 1965, week 16).

Nice pair of Gretsch. Start learning guitar. That SUper Chet is particularly handsome however the vibrato arm is reversed.

What other Gretsches were in this collection of your father? Please post some pics as well.

Were they still embossing the serial number on the top edge of the headstock in '65? I thought that was a '64 feature. My first good Gretsch was very much like the one pictured here - so cool to see the built-in string mute and the standby switch.

Were they still embossing the serial number on the top edge of the headstock in '65? I thought that was a '64 feature. My first good Gretsch was very much like the one pictured here - so cool to see the built-in string mute and the standby switch.

– JimmyR

Yes. My ‘65 Tenny #71529 is up there.

This sort of backstory and approach to the forum is something I worry we'll see more routinely in the coming years. Second one this week (the other was the gentleman with the 54 6185 that had a customized Florentine cutaway).

Both are iconic Gretsches in their own right. You have asked for advice re what to do with them. It's a personal question because we can't answer what intrinsic value the instruments have to you. In their cases that value would ostensibly be less appreciated than hanging on the wall or on guitar stands in your living room.

The other option is to sell them. As market value is more straightforward, you can and would get very sound advice here in that regard and suggestions for going about selling. We even saw one old Country Club that belonged to "The Mexican Elvis" go to a member here who was delighted to have the guitar.

My condolences. I always thought I'd be freaked out about my guitars if I was dying but when I actually was sitting in the hospital for months with cancer I didn't really think much about them at all.

– knavel

This thread, and responses like this, is one of the prime reasons that the GDP is such an important social outlet for guitarists.

I too offer my condolences. Still, I'm encouraged to see the son of a fine man carry on the Great Gretsch tradition. In the end, we are all just custodians of both the art and the tools that help define our lives as musicians. I often wonder what will become of my collection when the time comes to pay it forward. I have no children and none of my nephews or nieces are very serious about the craft. Maybe I'll just have to take them all with me?

Wouldn't the 6120 actually be a 1965 model? My 6120, serial number 72253 has it's original 1965 pots whose codes are 1376516 (CTS, 1965, week 16).

– duojet55

Indeed!

So it was a bit before Baldwin - I had thought maybe Baldwin marketing types. Well, the Tennessean and others had a name, so why not the 6120 -- maybe that was the feeling.

Well just to start a riot a Certain Book That Shall Not Be Named states double cut mid-to-late-61; Nashville nameplate ca. '64 along w/ Tennessean

– DCBirdMan

Get the better book.

– JimmyR

They stamped the serial numbers into the TIP of the headstock until August of 1966, when the date-coded serial numbers were initiated and located on the BACK of the headstock.

Welcome and sorry for the loss of your father. Those are both nice and the others here have given you some insight as to the heritage. It's never too late to learn to play, even if it's just on the sofa in the evening. Might be something to consider if you're so inclined. I'm sure your dad would be happy.

Sell the Super Chet and use the $$ for some lessons. If you do decide to sell, your guitars look very nice. Keep us posted.

Thanks, I definitely will. Thanks to all for the insight and condolences. If I decide to sell I'll post about it on this forum. You all have been super cool. As far as learning to play goes. I'm going to mess around with this Yamaha SHB400 he had and work my way into the 6120. My 13 year old daughter and I may start taking some lessons together.

She inherited this old Epiphone that he had. He was starting to teach her how to play.

Register Sign in to join the conversation