Vintage Gretsch Guitars

The Guitars My Father Left Me

Hello all, I am new to this community. I am not a guitar player but my father was an avid guitarist and collector. He recently passed after a fight with cancer. He left me his guitars and I really don't know much about them. I was hoping that the community here could help me date them and let me know if they are of significant importance and I am also looking for suggestions of what I should do with them? It seems a shame to leave them sitting in their cases forever. The two guitars I know are a 6120 and a Super Chet. The 6120 in particular was his favorite from his entire guitar collection. I also know his friends always wanted to play it and enjoyed it's unique sound. I know my mother purchased it for him from a traveling musician who's tour van was broken down around 1983 before my parents split. Any info and advise is greatly appreciated.

You can only add one photo per post. Looking forward to more!

Couple of great vintage guitars that will surely have some folks here drooling. Stay tuned for definitive info from our experts.

The 6120 dates to late 1964. Tuners have been replaced, but otherwise it appears to be clean and original. The white case in seemingly good condition is a big bonus.

The Super Chet dates to December of 1977.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever else you have.

The 6120 dates to late 1964. Tuners have been replaced, but otherwise it appears to be clean and original. The white case in seemingly good condition is a big bonus.

So sorry for your loss.

beautiful guitars, looks like he really look after them

Sorry to hear if your loss and welcome.

Couple of great guitars there. Windsor Dave is the Super Chet expert, Ed Ball, Gas Money and others can help with the 6120.

– Afire

Thank you so much for the info. I know he always loved the cowboy case. As a child I loved the soft magenta fabric on the inside of the case.

– Afire

I should know this by now -- did the Nashville name happen right when 6120 went double cut or was that name added later?

Yeah, the Cowboy case is a nice touch! I have one with my 1960 Country Gentleman (Px6122). Welcome to our corner of the web!!

Condolences. These look to be in nice shape. More pictures would be appreciated. People would be interested in seeing the binding for starters.

The Bigsby on the Super Chet is cool. I am assuming that it is original. Most SCs didn’t have them although it was an option.

Should you decide to sell these guitars, it is quite possible that someone here would be interested.

You have inherited nice guitars. Congrats for lack of a better word given the circumstances.

Welcome to our forum and may I express my condolences.

Please feel free to post more pic's. If you considering selling them, please try selling to our community first. The guys on this forum would likely be buyers who would play them and give them proper respect.

I should know this by now -- did the Nashville name happen right when 6120 went double cut or was that name added later?

– DCBirdMan

Later. 1966, is when they added the Nashville headstock plaque and pickguard marking. But I'm sure Ed will tell you that if you want the most accurate information on these matters, just check the Gruhn book.

– DCBirdMan

Happened in 1966. The badges showed up first, then the pickguards. This is around the time you find an occasional horseshoe under a badge. Edit: Afire beat me to it.

Yeah, the Cowboy case is a nice touch! I have one with my 1960 Country Gentleman (Px6122). Welcome to our corner of the web!!

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

Really? A 17" cowboy case is a rare creature.

This sort of backstory and approach to the forum is something I worry we'll see more routinely in the coming years. Second one this week (the other was the gentleman with the 54 6185 that had a customized Florentine cutaway).

Both are iconic Gretsches in their own right. You have asked for advice re what to do with them. It's a personal question because we can't answer what intrinsic value the instruments have to you. In their cases that value would ostensibly be less appreciated than hanging on the wall or on guitar stands in your living room.

The other option is to sell them. As market value is more straightforward, you can and would get very sound advice here in that regard and suggestions for going about selling. We even saw one old Country Club that belonged to "The Mexican Elvis" go to a member here who was delighted to have the guitar.

My condolences. I always thought I'd be freaked out about my guitars if I was dying but when I actually was sitting in the hospital for months with cancer I didn't really think much about them at all.

Happened in 1966. The badges showed up first, then the pickguards. This is around the time you find an occasional horseshoe under a badge. Edit: Afire beat me to it.

– lx

So it was a bit before Baldwin - I had thought maybe Baldwin marketing types. Well, the Tennessean and others had a name, so why not the 6120 -- maybe that was the feeling.

Well just to start a riot a Certain Book That Shall Not Be Named states double cut mid-to-late-61; Nashville nameplate ca. '64 along w/ Tennessean

– DCBirdMan

In 1966 when they adopted the headstock badge.

That '77 Super Chet looks pretty clean from the one pic. Baba is right about the Bigsby, fairly rare as the fixed tailpiece with the abalone insert was the standard equipment. Being a '77 it should have the standard neck width of 1.6875" and most probably a 25.5" scale length. These were well made guitars and had several features unique to this model. You see them for sale on Reverb for various prices, often too high. The early ones - late '71 - '73 - had the gold border on the pickguard and the wider neck/shorter scale and they can command a bit higher price, but only a bit. I'd say, if the condition is excellent and all the electronics work properly, I'd put a value on it at give or take, $2200. This price could encourage a sale.

This model has a relatively small following compared to other Gretsch models but it's pretty and has a unique shape and appointments.

That '77 Super Chet looks pretty clean from the one pic. Baba is right about the Bigsby, fairly rare as the fixed tailpiece with the abalone insert was the standard equipment. Being a '77 it should have the standard neck width of 1.6875" and most probably a 25.5" scale length. These were well made guitars and had several features unique to this model. You see them for sale on Reverb for various prices, often too high. The early ones - late '71 - '73 - had the gold border on the pickguard and the wider neck/shorter scale and they can command a bit higher price, but only a bit. I'd say, if the condition is excellent and all the electronics work properly, I'd put a value on it at give or take, $2200. This price could encourage a sale.

This model has a relatively small following compared to other Gretsch models but it's pretty and has a unique shape and appointments.

– Windsordave

Wow, thank you so much for this detailed response. This definitely helps me out quite a bit. I'm pretty sure I will decide to sell the Super Chet as it has less overall significance to the family. The 6120 was always his personal favorite to play. He said he bought the other Gretschs just to keep his friends from wanting to play his 6120.

Mid 60's double cut 6120s are the coolest of the cool. That's what I hear when "That Great Gretsch Sound" is mentioned.

Register Sign in to join the conversation