Vintage Gretsch Guitars

The Curious 6122

So I am taking on a huge repair of replacing all the binding on a 6122 Chet Atkins Country Gent. The owner got it from his uncle who supposedly bought it in the late 50s. It has a serial number running vertically down the back of the headstock of 3768. Which if correct would date it 1950. Did they even make 6122 that early? Can anyone please shed some light to this guitar?!

Ed should chime in on this soon. With it having a single mute and a S/N on the back of the headstock, I'm thinking it's no earlier than '65. That's also about the time we see the binding rot rearing it's ugly head. Should be a great guitar when you replace the binding. Are you going with stark white or a mellowed white/ivory like the binding is now?

Ed should chime in on this soon. With it having a single mute and a S/N on the back of the headstock, I'm thinking it's no earlier than '65. That's also about the time we see the binding rot rearing it's ugly head. Should be a great guitar when you replace the binding. Are you going with stark white or a mellowed white/ivory like the binding is now?

– Windsordave

Why only 4 numbers tho? Im going to try to match the binding like it is now.

3 = Month (March) 7 = Year (1967) 68 = 68th guitar that month.

That's why only 4 numbers. Once the back of the headstock s/n system came in there are anywhere from 3 to 6 serial numbers in any given month (I don't think I've ever seen a 3 digit one or, on the other end, a 7 digit one but the first 9 made in a given month logically means there had to be 3 digit serial numbers).

I also have a 1967 GC note for comparison with yours the S/N.

That's why only 4 numbers. Once the back of the headstock s/n system came in there are anywhere from 3 to 6 serial numbers in any given month (I don't think I've ever seen a 3 digit one or, on the other end, a 7 digit one but the first 9 made in a given month logically means there had to be 3 digit serial numbers).

– knavel

makes sense thank you!

Here's mine:

PS - "Made In USA" was added in between the time yours and mine were made.

PPS - 1967 is the epicenter of binding rot. My GC is sitting with a luthier now for treatment for a mild case of it also!

If a Gretsch serial number is on the back of the headstock, it is date-coded. This one translates to March, 1967... 68th guitar off the production line that month. This system was introduced in August of 1966. Also... 50’s Country Gents are single-cutaway. The double-cutaway was introduced for the 1962 model year.

Gretsch made a TON of Gents in 1967... it maybe a great guitar, and worth it to owner to drop a grand (or whatever you’re charging) to have the binding replaced, but these are not really all that rare.

I had a '67 Gent with a 3 digit serial number. It was just starting to rot when I traded it off. It needed a major truss rod adjustment between winter and summer seasons. The pick guard also read "Gentlemen" like I think yours does. I had always heard the Made in USA was when Baldwin was just starting to meddle. Aluminum knobs wouldn't be far behind.

Cool project. Please post your work as you go along. We love these types of threads. Curt from Old school Guitars posts some of his quite often. He does exceptional work. Welcome to the GDP.

Well worth the effort and expense IMO, nice Guitar. Welcome to the Campfire Blake

Welcome aboard Blake.

That's a great looking Gent that you're working on, and it'll look outstanding when it's finished.

Production numbers and rarity aside, it'll be a very nice example of a great guitar.

You can posts pics and progress updates on the "The Workbench" section.

I'm sure folks would like to follow your venture with this guitar.

– knavel

Exactly!

Thanks everyone for the info! I will definitely post progress pics! The binding is already giving me issues taking off! A delicate and slow process for sure!

Register Sign in to join the conversation