Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Synchromatic 6030-1

I just bought a Synchromatic 6030-1, Serial Number 11 214. The guitar need a neck reset, the neck came off.

I have a few qusestion about the guitar. The serial number is 11 214. Was the guitar made in 1953 or 1952 ? Are the bridge and the pickguard original to the guitar ?

Were Grover Sta-Tite tuners used ?

Hi Ralf... this Constellation is from a 50 unit batch from 1953. As you well know the debut batch of Scripty Jets occurred at batch #119xx, pretty late in the year. So it makes sense that #112xx would be more around mid-year '53. Also... as we all should know by now, the dual model numbers (i.e. 6030-1) were used in the '52 and '53 model years.

Those aren't Grover Sta-Tites... they are the standard Wavery tuners Gretsch used on many of their Golden Era models. The were factory spec for this batch of Constellations as well.

The pickguard is absolutely original, and I'm surprised to see it intact. The bridge... I don't know. Of the seven 6030-1 I've documented from this batch, some that have this style, while others have the more traditional Synchromatic style. I also can't comment on the authenticity of the case.

Thank Ed for the quick and informative answer.

My old '56 6120 was originally purchased with a chipboard case. The '55 catalog does include mention of an "economy" case in brown lizard grain chipboard material. Mine was alligator, but I don't doubt that the finer points may have changed over the years. It also may not have actually been the Gretsch economy case. In fact I don't think it was. You could see on the original receipt that it was much cheaper than any Gretsch hardshell case, but not as cheap as the prices listed in the '55 catalog. Cases were not included in the price of a Gretsch guitar, so it was really up to the buyer and dealer what case a Gretsch was sold with.

If it seems to be the right age and a good fit, then I would suspect it's likely the original case.

Thanks for the Information. The case is green inside and it was made out of cardboard. So I think your right and it is a so called economy case.

Ralf070158 I have a Constellation, serial number 12321, that with Ed Ball's input I was able to date practically precisely to the second or third week of September of 1953. I think there is a picture or two that I uploaded to the data base if you care to look. Mine has the Gretsch "T" roof logo, as well as a truss rod, and a mother-of-pearl block inlay by the first fret. It also has the same bridge as yours. Mine did not come with waverly tuners but Kluson wafflebacks, and mine came with the Gretsch "G" tailpiece. As to your case, I would be doubtful that it is original because it is so cheap and Constellations were $260 back in 1953 which was a good chunk of change then. Mine came with a tweed case and several Constellations I have seen online over the years virtually all came with tweed cases, too

As to your case, I would be doubtful that it is original because it is so cheap and Constellations were $260 back in 1953 which was a good chunk of change then. - ewkewk

Yet somebody paid $400 for this 6120 in 1956 and skimped on a chipboard case, verified by the original receipt. The hard case is something I bought separately for safer transport.

As to your case, I would be doubtful that it is original because it is so cheap and Constellations were $260 back in 1953 which was a good chunk of change then. - ewkewk

Yet somebody paid $400 for this 6120 in 1956 and skimped on a chipboard case, verified by the original receipt. The hard case is something I bought separately for safer transport.

– Afire

$400 then is like $3,800 today.

– Afire

G brand and humpblocks -- yum.

G brand and humpblocks -- yum.

– lx

Yeah. My fickleness and restlessness has led me to unload some pretty sweet guitars. But I've never felt the inclination to have a bunch of money invested in guitars, so the next sweet one doesn't come until the last one is gone. After this one, it was a '59 Gent, then a '53 Jet, then another '59 Gent. Can't complain.

Register Sign in to join the conversation