Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Super NGD

All is good. I’m happy with the sound for now and am not too concerned about what pickups they are. I will worry about it if/when I go for the Super/Classic Plus combo or really go wild with the stereo idea.

One reassessment - the guitar does have some weight. It doesn’t bother me since the ‘59 and my Falcon with trestles also are in the same category. No plans to eliminate the block.

And to WindsorDave - I never get these descriptions right but don’t think that U would define this neck.

– Baba Joe

I was mostly just curious about the pickups, If they sound good to you that's what's important, not the pedigree. They are a little heavier..I bet yours is lighter as it has a little less wood on the back! the block thing was a preference of mine and it was also the wrong size from the factory.

I had a 58 heavy trestle club briefly and it was a weighty guitar too.

They're about the same weight as a Les Paul except way cooler and prettier!

Baba- Congrats!! Awesome score! Would love to see it in person sometime soon. Cheers!

– Metman

Thanks Metman. I will probably take it to Grumpfest if you can get there. Otherwise, I have a feeling that it may come to a few events.

Toxo - the wood on this one has good contact. I like it as is. Also, your ‘58 Club was one that got away. I was just concerned with CITES. But things work out. If I bought that one I wouldn’t have bought this one. Neither one is better than the other imo, but in liking “different”, I think things worked out.

Thanks rr. You’ll get to see/play it some time.

Toxo - the wood on this one has good contact. I like it as is. Also, your ‘58 Club was one that got away. I was just concerned with CITES. But things work out. If I bought that one I wouldn’t have bought this one. Neither one is better than the other imo, but in liking “different”, I think things worked out.

– Baba Joe

Were you looking at my club when I was selling it? I totally forgot.

I am in no way judging your taste nor expecting you to follow mine or make the choices I have made with my guitars. I'm just talking about guitars because it's fun and interesting. Speaking of interesting, I think we have the same year Tennessean. My favourite!

Anyway congratulations on the Chet. Lovely guitar. Enough said.

I just looked at your Club here, thought about it, but never contacted you because of the CITES concerns. We have some similar tastes and some differing ones but all is good. We both enjoy guitars.

My Tennessean is a 1965 model which I bought in 1967. I always thought that I short-changed myself by getting the Tenny instead of a Gent, but in the past year or so have come around to liking the HiLos for some unknown reason. It’s my sentimental favorite; I will never own another guitar for as long as this one.

Tennesseans are great guitars. I've played one for about 30 years now. Mistaken popular sentiment has bashed on the hilotrons for years. To me it's straightforward and obvious why I like them. They are great sounding pickups. No CITES issues with the club as it has an ebony board. I sold it a fellow in New York, shipped it no problem after checking with Canada CITES to be sure.

Congrats! She's a beauty!

Register Sign in to join the conversation