Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Super Chet

For your enjoyment, from left to right : Super Chet ´79, ´81 and ´72.

Wow! You have a GORGEOUS collection!!

Beautiful collection! I have a 1977 Super Chet 7691. It’s my most played guitar and can understand why you have three. Congrats

I'm friggin' green with envy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty cool trio,Ralf!

I had a December 1977 Super Chet that had the earlier gold bound guard.

Richie Sambora bought it while on tour here several years ago.

That's amazing, Ralf!

Do any of them have the wider nut? And how do they sound through that little Pignose amp?

Gorgeous collection! The '72 should have the wider nut.

I used to own this March, '73 Super Chet. Not being much of a finger stylist, I just couldn't get used to the extra wide neck. Beautiful guitar, though.

I used to own this March, '73 Super Chet. Not being much of a finger stylist, I just couldn't get used to the extra wide neck. Beautiful guitar, though.

– duojet55

Duojet: Yours being an early one with the bound pickguard, yours had the wider neck you alluded to. I had done some measuring with two of my Gretsches and come to some interesting conclusions regarding neck widths. I compared my SC after Nicole sanded it down for me to the deeper normal width neck on my '41 Synchro and as it turns out, the neck's width is isn't the issue but rather the amount of mass of wood in the neck that creates the uncomfortable feeling. The overall amount of wood you have to stretch your hand around is greater for the 'normal' width as opposed to the SC. So....if you had had the neck taken down as I had (to match the slender C profile on my '98 Gibson Gent) .800", you wouldn't have an issue with your lovely SC!

– duojet55

I have an Autumn Red Super Chet from March of 1973 also. The difference between yours and mine is that mine developed a severe case of leprosy binding rot that went from a mere spot on the binding to severe rotting out in less than 2 weeks

I have an Autumn Red Super Chet from March of 1973 also. The difference between yours and mine is that mine developed a severe case of leprosy binding rot that went from a mere spot on the binding to severe rotting out in less than 2 weeks

– ewkewk

I remember you telling us about that sudden transformation. That was the quickest I'd ever heard of!

– ewkewk

I remember you telling us about that sudden transformation. That was the quickest I'd ever heard of!

Register Sign in to join the conversation