Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Super Axe re-build(?)

Hello,

I just make the plunge and bought raw body and neck of a super axe, to build it as a lefty model.... I'm looking for informations about the guitar :

is the body flat or carved ? It seems almost flat, for a first time build I think it will be better for me if the body was flat like let's say, a Rickenbacker...

What kind of truss rod to fit ? I will probably go for a heel "spoke nut" style, for the ease of fitting and it will leave the headstock free of truss rod cover... I will then need to let a little space between the fretboard and the neck pickup...

If the raw body turns ok, I would love to do a light cherry finish like this one : Link Any advices are welcome

– petit professeur

The top and back are quite arched. The originals used a Burns "gearbox" truss rod adjusted at the heel of the neck from the back of the guitar.

Ok thanks for your answer ! i tought it was flat, it seems less arched than an hollow body Gretsch... I will need to make laminated top and back, I have a friend who builds skateboards decks for his children i will ask him i remember he has tools to laminate I know the original had Burns truss rod, it can be bought from Burns but it’s like 200$ so I guess I can allow me the shortcut of changing system for a more affordable since it will be a DIY project

To Filthypit, Is your top and back laminated arched, or is there some wood added at the center (it seems so on the picture post 10) and the top and back are glued clamped to obtain the arched shape ?

THAT is a Super Axe. Nice work!

– atomicwash

Ah, it's an Atkins Axe; the Super Axe has the football panel with the controls and effects and Dimarzio pups. Beautiful in blue

Hello everyone, If someone has a Axe / super axe, can he post some sideways pictures for me to see the curve of the arch top ? I just ordered some maple to do a two layers laminated top and back, I don't know if I can glue them arched on the body (if the arch is mellow and the wood is flexible enough) or if I need to laminate them arched on a mold... If so I will try use the vacuum bag technique used on skateboard making, seems fun to do

guy on the local craigs has been trying to sell super axe for a bit..i have nothing to do with..tho i had a super axe back then....i never adjusted to flat neck radius..so i traded..but still miss it..it was a beautiful guitar

maybe contact seller for info you require

luck

https://sfbay.craigslist.or...

cheers

guy on the local craigs has been trying to sell super axe for a bit..i have nothing to do with..tho i had a super axe back then....i never adjusted to flat neck radius..so i traded..but still miss it..it was a beautiful guitar

maybe contact seller for info you require

luck

https://sfbay.craigslist.or...

cheers

– neatone

While I think the price is okay, I realize that these seem sell for under $2K these days. Mine is the same lovely shade of orange, making it my only orange Gretsch.....my '98 6120 is a blue burst.

Hello WindsorDave, so can you take some pictures of the side please please please

Register Sign in to join the conversation