Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Super Axe re-build(?)

Decided to collect asstd vintage Gretsch parts over the past decade & rebuild my fav Axe (from a previous life) ... jst polished it out this weekend

with VOX bridge + TVJ Classic HBs

Blackberry super-flake (urethane) + vintage nos Schaller tuning machines

DId you build this from scratch or is it a rebuild of an existing guitar? Nice job regardless.

Killer purple sparkle ... . looking good!

Did it originally have the Pick-guard with effects? If so, how did you work around that?

NOS parts (1974-1990s) + neck off totally trashed 90s Rancher - no pickguard - no phaser, it was considered but decided to leave that back in 1979 (where it belongs imo)

Very nice! Could you describe your finishing process? Is it something a home DIY guitar builder can do? I've sprayed lacquer and shallac but never a urethane product.

Very nice! Could you describe your finishing process? Is it something a home DIY guitar builder can do? I've sprayed lacquer and shallac but never a urethane product.

– Frank_NH

Highly doubtful, but you might get lucky. Urethanes are pretty nasty & should be handled in contained area (industrial). This is 4 stage automotive finish (bass boat) - my background exp = 30+yrs of spraying custom finishes on surfboards & guitars. Also, the diamond clear by House of Kolor is not something you'd wanna mess w/ around the house. And once you start you cant stop (takes several days). I did this one a few years ago w/ nitrocellulose lacquer (pic) Ya cant rattle can nitrocell lacquer, no matter what ppl tell/sell you - the free-flow agents required to spray degrade overall finish so they almost always end of crackling in the end.

Wow! You do BEAUTIFUL work. filthypit!

Not my taste, but very nice work!

Very nice ! Did you buy a blank body as the ones offered in eBay ?

Seriously, if I'd seen this in store my wallet would have been much lighter and my grin much much bigger.

THAT is a Super Axe. Nice work!

Love that finish and the other mods you've made!

Excellent build and that color is stunning. Good on ya!

excellent job!! great 3-d flake

gretsch oughta add something like that to their line!!!..a modern players super axe..that body shape was always killer

cheers

excellent job!! great 3-d flake

gretsch oughta add something like that to their line!!!..a modern players super axe..that body shape was always killer

cheers

– neatone

I totally agree....that body shape is better than 95% of the body shapes that have come along since. That's a very sleek, sexy looking guitar.

Hello,

I just make the plunge and bought raw body and neck of a super axe, to build it as a lefty model.... I'm looking for informations about the guitar :

is the body flat or carved ? It seems almost flat, for a first time build I think it will be better for me if the body was flat like let's say, a Rickenbacker...

What kind of truss rod to fit ? I will probably go for a heel "spoke nut" style, for the ease of fitting and it will leave the headstock free of truss rod cover... I will then need to let a little space between the fretboard and the neck pickup...

If the raw body turns ok, I would love to do a light cherry finish like this one : Link Any advices are welcome

Register Sign in to join the conversation