Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Super Axe … need a replacement part

This is my Super Axe. Aside from a couple changes I made when I was 25 and stupid, its close to original and near mint. For whatever reason, when I 1st got it I thought it would be cool to drop in a DiMarzio pickup with a high gain "distortion" toggle switch, which I installed on the black control plate (at the "left corner of the football"). Had to ream out the black plastic to accomodate the toggle. 40+ years later I've sobered up and returned it back to original BUT ... the hole remains. Do you think I could find one of those football shaped control plates and fix my crime of adolescence that way?

I'd bet Setzer could make one.

Couldn't ya just fill it with black super glue?

FWIW, I can't imagine finding one as NOS anywhere. Save time you'd spend looking for one and have one made. Simple enough to make a tracing from yours - leaving out the extra hole of course! - and you're good to go. I'm with Suprdave in that Paul could probably do the job for ya'.

BTW, your SA is the twin to mine, save for the football not being tight against the guard but I believe I have the only guitar with no gap but that's not really a significant feature.

Are you going to fill the hole in the guitar body so you can put a screw there?

Ah… now I see the hole. I would fill guard with black epoxy. Then polish out the guard. Then fill the wood hole with a wood plug cut with same grain orientation. (IE Not a dowel but a plug cutter and face grain). Once you redial the hole for a smaller screw, it will be darn near invisible

Ah… now I see the hole. I would fill guard with black epoxy. Then polish out the guard. Then fill the wood hole with a wood plug cut with same grain orientation. (IE Not a dowel but a plug cutter and face grain). Once you redial the hole for a smaller screw, it will be darn near invisible

– Joe Desperado (aka: Jack Daniels)

That is exactly what I was thinking. At most there might be a faint 1mm or so "halo" around the screw head. If it goes well, maybe not even that.

You could also get a plug cutter bit, drill a circle from some matching 2 or 3-ply pickguard material and carefully glue it into the hole of the original control panel and polish that area. Fill the oversized hole in the wood, drill both and add a new screw.

Register Sign in to join the conversation