Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Sunburst ‘69 Rambler

NFI.

Lotsa strange here: Sunburst (usually black & Ivory), inlaid headstock (but I've seen one from the '50's like this), zero fret, and two totally unnecessary access covers for the back. The upper one is really strange as the upper bouts on Ramblers are usually solid. Looks to be from February of '69; thought they died out in the early '60's.

That's the rare Windsor Dave signature model Rambler 6115 in the "Canadian Sunburst" finish.

That's strange having control cavity covers on the back of a Rambler. Maybe the employee that day was hung over thinking he/she was working on a Jet?

Ramblers are completely hollow. At least the one I have is...I think

That's the rare Windsor Dave signature model Rambler 6115 in the "Canadian Sunburst" finish.

– kc_eddie_b

Say what?.....eh?

Think it'll get any votes at that price?

– kc_eddie_b

Good catch. In that case, the covers probably allow proper servicing of the built-in "bagpipe modeler" feature.

'Cuz Dave wouldn't want to be without that delightful option during a gig.

Now that's a hellish thought! Good model to incorporate [probably another Jimmy Webster idea] "bagpipe modeler". You can then just 'ramble' down the road 20 or more miles till you're out of earshot!

I sent a friendly email to the seller that it's not a 1958 Rambler but a 1969 one. Got an email back telling me I'm wrong because the serial number "according to a chart" says it's 1958. So I patiently replied why that's not correct, with all the key features that make it a late 60s Gretsch, not a late 50s one.

I do that a lot when I see egregious misattributions to vintage in ads and auctions for old Gretsch guitars. The general public (a some so-called dealers) do a quick Google search for Gretsch serial number info and go with the first thing they find. It's a problem we'll probably never outrun. I've had to develop a soft touch when approaching sellers in this situation as many assume the worst intent and don't appreciate the input. "But I saw it on the internet...?!"

To his credit, he did pull the listing this morning. (Or more correctly the relisting as it didn't sell the first time.)

How many of these late 60s Ramblers have you come across, Ed? There have been 2 I can remember listed for sale before this one.

(When you email the sellers, do you say, "I literally wrote the book on this stuff"?)

I usually open my note with... "It's with the greatest respect that I offer the following information about your guitar...". But some are so defensive that they assume I'm being sarcastic and a smart arse. I rarely mention the books in an effort to not be "that guy".

I've documented a number of late 60s Ramblers but most are from the '69 model year. With date-coded serial number there's no way to project batches made or annual production of any one model.

I too have written to several sellers over the years really only had two instances, one where they didn't believe me - Anne selling the #26401 Gent - and a music shop in Florida selling an SC that wrote back to say their info was correct. Everyone else wrote back to thank me and changed their ad, the most recent being the lady in Canada selling the 6120 that a member here in CA bought.

I explain that I'm not a buyer as I have enough guitars, but that their info isn't correct and a knowledgeable Gretsch buyer would probably know that and avoid their ad. I always mention Ed's books as the bible for Gretsch and our website where they could join and post an ad or ask questions and get honest replies. If the price is ridiculous, I'll only say that their asking price is quite optimistic and why.

Reverb had an obviously refinished Anniversary that Ed and I both weighed in on with them. They insisted their expert said it was a custom factory job. Someone bought it after a significant price reduction though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation