Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Sunburst 61’ 6120 ?

This is a photo of Finnish guitar player Tommie Mansfield. 1975 I believe.

sure looks like a sunburst 61’ 6120.

who knows more ?

Might just be the photo... but it looks wider than a 6120. The Bigsby isn't original (B7?) either.

Greg Kellor from Blue Rodeo (Canadian Band) has a burst 6120 from about the same time

Tuners look like Waverlys. '61 6120 sounds about right. Pickguard has that "point" on the end that looks right for a '61.

A different photo, but the same guitar. No horseshoe on the headstock. It could be a Country Club. Edit: yes, it is not the same guitar

The first picture looks like it has a bound neck and headstock, the second picture is not bound neck or headstock, no Bigsby, no standby switch. The second one maybe a Double Anniversary?

The first one looks like there could be a hole for a mute lever or dial under the Bigsby arm, unless it is a round shadow, and there seems to be enough room for a mute between the bridge and pickup.

Yet another photo. I don't think the picture in Roar's post is the same guitar as the OP. This one, however, is (look at the Bigsby). I'm guessing it's a Country Club.

The first picture looks like it has a bound neck and headstock, the second picture is not bound neck or headstock, no Bigsby, no standby switch. The second one maybe a Double Anniversary?

The first one looks like there could be a hole for a mute lever or dial under the Bigsby arm, unless it is a round shadow, and there seems to be enough room for a mute between the bridge and pickup.

– hammerhands

You're right

On the second pic it sure looks like a double Annie - HiLos and G tailpiece.

Yeah is sure seems like a CC.

But The pickguard sure looks like it came from a 6120. The 61 era guards had that odd shape. I don’t think I’ve seen a club with the same Style.

Guard shape looks right, but no Chet stuff on it??

It look enormous in the last pic!

Either that’s a Club or Mr. Mansfield is of considerably diminutive stature. Or both.

Looks like a Country Club to me! I own two, a ‘62 & a ‘64. One has 21 frets and the other has 22 frets.. 6120’s never had binding around the “F” holes. Country Clubs do! They’re also 17” wide which I prefer.

6120’s never had binding around the “F” holes.

Huh? All of mine do.

I’m sure you meant Annies, though, right?

Looks just like my 1964 Country Club in sunburst but I got the correct Bigsby.

6120’s never had binding around the “F” holes.

Huh? All of mine do.

I’m sure you meant Annies, though, right?

– Deke Martin

Maybe so... I haven’t looked at a 6120 in a while. 40 years ago I owned a’58 & a’60 6120’s.. wished I’d kept one of them. Back then they were $400.

I tried to tweak the proportions of the original photo just for fun. Now it definitely looks like a CC.

Register Sign in to join the conversation