Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Streamliners seem pretty cool…

Just wondering what they are like for gigs.

Anyone?

K

I gigged my Jr. Streamliner a few years back and it did well. Sounded and felt great.

I also have a few vintage ones, and they sound super and play well.

Are talking about the newer models or older ones? Two different animals.

You are correct...vintage Streamliners are pretty cool! Gig away!

Older ones--might be an old one available in my neck of the woods... but only a neck pu?

And did you have feedback issues?

My 55 Streamliner is my main gigging guitar. It’s a phenomenal guitar to play live...surpassing my 6120 and DuoJet. I’ve never had an issue with it feeding back and the single neck pickup is the best pickup I’ve had on any of my guitars.

It’s an absolute workhorse and has never let me down. The bamboo yellow/copper mist color scheme looks killer on stage too.

When my band toured the UK this summer I didn’t bring the Streamliner with me. I guess I got cold feet about putting it in the cargo hold of a plane on a 9 hour international flight. I regretted that decision. Although my good buddy Deke Martin very kindly lent me his 6120EC for the duration of our tour, and what a fantastic guitar it was/is, it just felt weird to me to be playing shows without my Streamliner. The sound wasn’t the same, the feel wasn’t the same and I do believe that my playing wasn’t as sharp or confident as it usually is when we play shows.

I’m bringing my Streamliner when we tour in Europe next year.

If you have a chance to snap up a vintage Streamliner close to you I say go for it!

Konrad... what model year is the guitar you’re considering... Dyna or Filtertron?

Never gigged a Streamliner, but have other mid-50s Gretsches, including a '56 6120 for a few years, which is the same thing but with two pickups. Granted, I was playing the kind of music they were built for, not punk or metal, but never had any issues with feedback or anything else at extreme volumes. Just lots of awesomeness.

It has filts and supposedly it is late 50s. That's all I know. I have not seen it yet.

K

It has filts and supposedly it is late 50s. That's all I know. I have not seen it yet.

K

– Konrad

Filtertron Streamliners are less common than the Dyna versions, as they were only made for a year or so. This iteration also has the trestle bracing, so the guitar should be really solid. Keep us in the loop!

If the deal goes south let me know, I have a ‘58 Filter Streamliner I am thinking of letting go. And I’m in Europe (for the time being )

Konrad...if this helps I just posted a video clip in this thread where you can see and hear my 1955 Streamliner in a live show.

1955 Streamliner

After checking out this Streamliner and Toxophilite’s, I am liking them more and more. Nice playing here too.

After checking out this Streamliner and Toxophilite’s, I am liking them more and more. Nice playing here too.

– Baba Joe

Curious! I don't own a streamliner nor have I ever. I almost bought one in Seattle once, single filtertron bamboo and copper mist with weird light trestle bracing but that particular once didn't grab me and the price was a little high. Also was interested in another but the CITES thing killed that possible purchase. I'm sure they are comparable to most Gretsch guitars of that era and would make excellent live instruments. I like the wider range of sounds one gets from two pickups.

My mistake. I was thinking about your Convertible in the videos. Now there’s two more guitars that I like.

This is how mine originally looked stock. Mine is a converted convertable!

Just to fill everyone in...

I never got to see it. The guy changed his mind and never showed it to me in person.

Oh well.

K

If the deal goes south let me know, I have a ‘58 Filter Streamliner I am thinking of letting go. And I’m in Europe (for the time being )

– Deke Martin

At the risk of quoting myself...

Register Sign in to join the conversation