Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Stinger!

Finally had a couple weeks between gigs to give this a go. Painted a stinger on my refinished 52 Electro 2. I think it turned out well. This is however pre wet sanding and clean up. Right after tape removal. I'm still pondering whether I want to clear coat it after I get it pretty looking. the nitro clear tends to blur the edges of the nitro colour as it melts into it. I experienced this before with a headstock refinish and the MOP Gretsch logo..It was hell!. I'm using Mohawk nitro and I do have their vinyl sealer which they recommended between coats of dissimilar paint. It might help for this issue too. Anyway I think it looks pretty good so far. I love the look of a stinger.

I'm making sure that the black is actually nitro, if it isn't then you need to spray two coats of clear nitro over their vinyl sealer before the black or you could have adhesion issues.

The black is supposed to be what they cal a lacquer enamel which if you ask them they say is nitro Here's the spec sheet. http://www.mohawk-finishing...

regardless it's a bit of a done deal and I'm on to considerations regarding possible clear coating over the black. I might not need to. i kept the point of the stinger a little short so it won't encounter much left hand wear.

Looks good! The back of that guitar looks great!

Lacquer enamel is the strangest combinations of words I've seen put together. It sounds like it's a cat-lac product.

Funny story, in my former life an older guy speaking broken english came in and wanted animal black. I said animal black and he said YES ANIMAL Black. This went on for ten minutes and he finally found it on the shelf and yelled at me, THIS IS ANIMAL BLACK! He wanted black enamel paint.

The stinger looks great, BTW.

Looks great and factory correct too. I've got this as a future project but I'm saving it for when I can afford Waverly tuners. Did your blonde Electro not come with a stinger? I had a '51 Electro (single pup) and it came with one; IIRC Gretsch stopped putting them on blondes in the late '60's or early '70's.

We were living in Essex England for a while and my father went to the hardware store and asks for some nails. The old Scots storekeeper looked at him funny and kept turning the word over like he'd never heard it before. "I've not got any nay-ulz. Wot ist?" says he. My father described a nail. "Och," says the Scot, "you mean a NALL." That's how it's said north of Hadrian's Wall apparently.

Lacquer enamel is the strangest combinations of words I've seen put together. It sounds like it's a cat-lac product.

Funny story, in my former life an older guy speaking broken english came in and wanted animal black. I said animal black and he said YES ANIMAL Black. This went on for ten minutes and he finally found it on the shelf and yelled at me, THIS IS ANIMAL BLACK! He wanted black enamel paint.

– Curt Wilson

Yes it is confusing. The fellows at Mohawk said it's nitro, they just call it an enamel. They have an outlet in town, sometimes the guys working there are super nice and helpful, sometimes they are &%$#$#*

I did post the spec sheets

That's a great story by the way!

Looks great and factory correct too. I've got this as a future project but I'm saving it for when I can afford Waverly tuners. Did your blonde Electro not come with a stinger? I had a '51 Electro (single pup) and it came with one; IIRC Gretsch stopped putting them on blondes in the late '60's or early '70's.

We were living in Essex England for a while and my father went to the hardware store and asks for some nails. The old Scots storekeeper looked at him funny and kept turning the word over like he'd never heard it before. "I've not got any nay-ulz. Wot ist?" says he. My father described a nail. "Och," says the Scot, "you mean a NALL." That's how it's said north of Hadrian's Wall apparently.

– lx

Bah! Hilarious

This was originally a sunburst Electro 2. Some drunken child refinished it with an old paint brush prior to my owning it. I cleaned up the job and made it quite presentable. However they didn't do the stinger which I think is a beautiful feature, even if it is hiding on the back of the headstock. It looks so elegant.

I was tempted to give the whole guitar a few coats of clear nitro but maybe sometime in the future. On the back the finish is so thin the grain of the flame maple is open in spots so it might be good to seal that up eventually.

OKay Done. or good enough. A tiny bit off center of the neck center line but you have to look really close and I didn't want to scrape it right. I didn't make it too glossy so it suits the rest of the guitar. Looks nice with the tuners on it.

no flash and closer. I find it really darkens the back-of-the-headstock tone but less so through true bypass pedals.....

Register Sign in to join the conversation