Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Ssshh. Tenny Deal?

No Affiliation With Seller.

Noticed this on reverb. Advertised as a "1978 Tennessee Rose" which it isn't. Missing pickguard, wrong color pup surrounds, and a tuna bridge. Easily fixed. Very burgundy, Waverly tuners, original Gretsch case, small fake f-holes without the white border all suggest a '62-ish Tennessean for a nice price. I'd ask for better pictures of the binding (as rot would be a deal breaker) as well as a pic of the serial # which should be on top of the headstock. But don't tell them it might not be a "1978 Tennessee Rose."

Isn't the fact of the missing white paint binding on the F-holes the hallmark of the 6113?

Because of the tuners, it's '61-'63 6119 Tennessean. Probably a refinish, I think the early guitar were more red. The burgundy ones were circa 1965.

The 6113 models didn't have binding on the neck. Also the faux f-holes were much bigger. The early 6119's had the smaller faux f holes without the faux f-hole binding.

The 1978 Tennesseans had open f-holes.

Yes, and a serial number would be nice.

Lee

When they refinish Tennys they almost always get the f-hole stencil wrong and/or change them to Harrison specs.

Hilton Valentine of the Animals had a couple nice ones.

I can't imagine a refinish being able to so well create the f-holes. Such correctness only to slap those bezels on there? I always seemed to observe anecdotally the deepest burgundy to be on the earlier Tennesseans.

Looks like a nice 1962 6119 Tennessean to me. At $1625, it seems like a pretty good deal. It needs a good repro guard, silver bezels, pickguard bracket, screws, and a bar bridge. To do all that right, depending on how much you go original, and how much modern/repro, it could set you back anywhere from $150 to $350, which gets the price back up to about where it should be. It's a good deal, but not a screaming deal, only because these are criminally undervalued to begin with. I used to own a '62 Tennessean and it was a fantastic guitar, bought for a little under $2000, invested in a really well done repro guard, did a little necessary minor work, and eventually sold it for a modest profit, around $2400 I think. I think the prices of these comparatively uncommon and likely better quality early ones is held down by the boatloads of Tennesseans that were made in the mid '60s.

I get hacked off when dudes are calling 1960s Hi Lo Tenneseans as "tennesee rose' which is a SUCKY NAME. Always has been

STill been feeling the need for another Tenny ... Joe Bigsby bought mine a good 4 years ago and sold it pretty fast. Wish I had it back. But I have some home improvement projects looming so have so trying to de-acquire guitars although selling is slow these days... altho I still want a TK-300 bass

I get hacked off when dudes are calling 1960s Hi Lo Tenneseans as "tennesee rose' which is a SUCKY NAME. Always has been

Yeah, but in this case ignorance is a good thing for the buyer. I still remember buying my '56 6120 for $450 back in '82 because the shop was staffed by Martin snobs who were happy to get rid of that "weird orange thing."

I did notice that some owner drilled a second hole for a pickguard on the guitar top. Caveat Emptor.

6113 also had : 2.25" body, deeper than 6119, white button Waverly tuners. Must. Stop. Obsessing. Now.

I have a real 62 Tennessean (see my profile picture). No paint around the "F" holes. That's what year the OP's guitar appears to be.

Register Sign in to join the conversation