Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Special order 1965 6129 ?

This is not my Auction, very nice 65 Silver Jet. Is the price high on this? Was it a special order?

Link

As the seller suggests, after a certain point all sparkle Jets (silver or otherwise) were special orders.

I never noticed that the Silver Jet was dropped from the catalog in the early '60s. They must have had a decent stream of requests coming in. Obviously they're rare, but they show up pretty regularly.

Everyone wanted a Gent or Tenny then.

Special order or not, I would think it should still have a label, no? Perhaps a 6128 label with a handwritten special order designation. Cool guitar but priced optimistically, I think.

Yeah, I don't think the "special order" status has anything to do with the missing label. Either it was removed or it dried up and fell off. I happens on occasion.

What a cool looking guitar. I love in the description how the seller says it has "THAT sound". I believe I know what he means.

It should have a label. Even if it doesn't the serial number "should" be hand etched onto the outer edge of the large back plate.

Even if it doesn't the serial number "should" be hand etched onto the outer edge of the large back plate.

It is. 68508. Does that correspond to a known Jet batch? Whenever you see missing labels, it makes you wonder whether it fell off, or whether somebody removed it intentionally (i.e., stolen). When you see a Jet with no label and no number on the plate, it looks very suspicious. If the number on the plate of this one looks kosher, then I would think the label just fell off, as they sometimes do.

I wonder if you removed the plates and pulled the pickups out, if you'd find a label floating around inside..?

Those aren't great guitars. I remember when Jane Wiedlin bought one, and then brought it over to my house and asked why it didn't sound like mine.

Register Sign in to join the conversation