Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Sixties 6117 Black Annie

Trying to help a new member here with an interesting double Annie: looks to be a mid '60's double Annie with a factory original black finish, silver pickguard and rings. Interesting thing is that the back of the headstock has a white number running down the center that reads "27934". Thought this was a '50's Annie as the debut batch was a 277xx but the picture is clearly a '60's Hilotron model (well, as clear as you can get with a vintage Gretsch...) Ed hasn't done the '60's book yet and I'm not too familiar with the numbering system that went on then; maybe someone here can pitch in? There's another picture and more info about the guitar, but the close-up of the headstock front and back looks like it is a factory black finish.

That's a date-coded number (which started in 1966). This one translates to Feb. 1967, 934th guitar that month.

What is taking so bloody long with the 1960s book, anyway?

Thanks, Ed!

What is taking so bloody long with the 1960s book, anyway?

It's the idiotic questions those GDP weirdos keep buggin' him with.

You mean like this? The finish on mine looks old and has cracking but the innner label is missing and there is black overspray indicating where it was Which leads me to suspect that mine is a refinished sunburst model as it also has the gold pickguard and silver pickup rings so often found on the sunburst models I bound the F-holes though, that wasn't original nor is the chet arm of the custom bridge

You mean like this? The finish on mine looks old and has cracking but the innner label is missing and there is black overspray indicating where it was Which leads me to suspect that mine is a refinished sunburst model as it also has the gold pickguard and silver pickup rings so often found on the sunburst models I bound the F-holes though, that wasn't original nor is the chet arm of the custom bridge

Register Sign in to join the conversation