Vintage Gretsch Guitars

7 String * Signature George Van Eps Model

Hi All,

Other than my intro post this is my first. I've become interested in 7 string models of guitars, as a result of my viewing the work of father and son Pizzarelli. Dad got his motivation from GVE, and was a very early buyer of a Gretsch GVE 7.

I really would love to learn all the specifications. Wood used in body construction, solid/laminated? Width of nut? Is the neck thick/medium/thin from it's back to the surface of the fretboard? IS IT A WELL MADE INSTRUMENT OVERALL?

I thank you all in advance for whatever info you can provide! And Hello Again!

Welcome to the pages. I've often wondered about those as well. I'm sure one of the resident experts will have a say soon enough!

Have seen the younger Pizzarelli a few times. He mentioned the Van Eps model when he talks about the history of 7 string jazz guitars.

I would think the build quality of the Gretsch 7 string pretty much would mirror the overall picture of all the guitars at a given time, So it was a Baldwin era model all the way, it appears , starting in 1968. So much depends on storage and how well it was looked after

welcome to the gdp!

there were a couple of different versions...from 1968 thru 1974

hardware went from gold to chrome...to smaller f -holes and slightly different body shape

17" wide body, 2-3/4 " deep, all maple laminate wth 14 polepiece fltertrons

cheers

Since I've played 7-string guitars off and on for years, I'd love to have the Van Epps model, but they come up for sale only rarely, and at prices I can't afford. Oh well

Hi All,

Other than my intro post this is my first. I've become interested in 7 string models of guitars, as a result of my viewing the work of father and son Pizzarelli. Dad got his motivation from GVE, and was a very early buyer of a Gretsch GVE 7.

I really would love to learn all the specifications. Wood used in body construction, solid/laminated? Width of nut? Is the neck thick/medium/thin from it's back to the surface of the fretboard? IS IT A WELL MADE INSTRUMENT OVERALL?

I thank you all in advance for whatever info you can provide! And Hello Again!

– AdvenJack

I'm not sure how serious you are, but I am aware of an opportunity to purchase a Gretsch Van Epps model husk, stripped of all it's hardware and wiring. If you're interested shoot me a note.

I've tried a couple, not that my talents are worthy of a 7 string (much less a 6 string). The necks are wider than normal (duh) and it seemed to be very much like a Country Club as neatone above mentions. One I tried had a custom made 7 string Bigsby with a Space Control bridge; too much neck for me but very cool. In his book, Dan Duffy has a couple stories about GVE which were very cool (he scared Chet Atkins...)

Thank you all for replying! I look forward to the learning process regarding these guitars. I know nothing yet, about the importance of a Gretsch Guitar being of the BALDWIN ERA. Best regards, Jack

I'm not sure how serious you are, but I am aware of an opportunity to purchase a Gretsch Van Epps model husk, stripped of all it's hardware and wiring. If you're interested shoot me a note.

– kc_eddie_b

Hi KC_EDDIE_B,

I used the system on this page to send an email to you. Thanks for your post on this thread!

Hi KC_EDDIE_B,

I used the system on this page to send an email to you. Thanks for your post on this thread!

– AdvenJack

I tried to PM you too. This site doesn't like my email address. But what I was going to do is direct you to the Julians auction... lot #927.

Register Sign in to join the conversation