Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Scripty Jet - with Badge

I'd agree that '53/54 Jet necks are probably more substantial than the later model year Jets in most cases.

Didn't Gretsch only start to use adjustible truss rods at that point? If so it might help explaining those hefty necks as Gretsch's construction styles at that point were logically a carry over from Gretsch's entire history to that point when they had to make necks that had to compensate for the fact that there were no (adjustible) truss rods in them (Gibson had the patent on the truss rod if memory serves into the 40s).

I'd agree that '53/54 Jet necks are probably more substantial than the later model year Jets in most cases.

Didn't Gretsch only start to use adjustible truss rods at that point? If so it might help explaining those hefty necks as Gretsch's construction styles at that point were logically a carry over from Gretsch's entire history to that point when they had to make necks that had to compensate for the fact that there were no (adjustible) truss rods in them (Gibson had the patent on the truss rod if memory serves into the 40s).

– knavel

That does make sense, and I don't think I've ever owned a pre-truss Rod Gretsch. But I did once own an early Electromatic with the adjustment on the end of the fingerboard, I want to say a '52. All I can say is the neck was pretty average sized, not clubby like my old '53 Jet. It makes me wonder whether the reason for the big necks on early Jets was that this was the first time (that I can think of) where they were using one-piece mahogany necks. As usual, I'm engaging in idle speculation, but perhaps they were erring on the side of caution, concerned that one piece mahogany necks might not be as stable as laminated maple necks. And after a couple of years that concern turned out to be unfounded and they started shaping them like the rest of their necks. Just a guess.

Hi guys. Thanks Paul for showing me this thread

I made those decals 10 years ago !

Still have one left, if you want it send me a PM

I replied did you see ?

Ya thanks! Just got it, it was hiding in junkmail.

Register Sign in to join the conversation