Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Rolling the dice on this vintage Country Club!

Old and battered that play good!! What's not to like?

That is a great looking guitar! Congrats!

I love it, and I'd say from the looks of it, you got a really good deal. Is it actually a '66?

– redrocker

Thanks! Yes, it's a '66.

"Rode hard!"

......................and put away very wet!

What if anything are your plans for this old gal?

– Windsordave

Here's my first plan of action: a) clean it, b) raise the pickups a little with some TV Jones foam spacers, c) restring it (sorry, no flats for this guy!), d) put a bigsby on it (just bought a period-correct, 60's vintage v-cut Gretsch B6 for it).

The bridge pickup is a little microphonic (when I'm playing with overdrive). It's not really bad, but any suggestions on fixing it without taking away that great dyna sound?

The bridge pickup is a little microphonic (when I'm playing with overdrive). It's not really bad, but any suggestions on fixing it without taking away that great dyna sound?

– hellbilly

Raising the pickups will help with the microphonics. That said, Dynas don't like a lot of overdrive or distortion booster pedals so it depends on how much overdrive you want.

Any questions that you have about the Guitar....you can call the Guitar Shoppe in Laguna Beach Ca, that's where the work was done as I recall. I believe he said that they re set the neck and put on frets and Tuners and newer pickups while there in the past year, they are pretty cool, I'm sure they'll remember it. Best of luck

– hellbilly

You WANT microphonics. The only thing better than having that big honkin' body, is having something inside it that 'hears' what's going on and sends it to your amp.

You WANT microphonics. The only thing better than having that big honkin' body, is having something inside it that 'hears' what's going on and sends it to your amp.

– charlie chitlins

I have to somewhat agree with you! We practiced last night, and I was able to run a fair amount of gain while keeping things under control - it was a great lively sound!

Turn the amp up until it starts to squeal, play Who Do You Love and scream the lyrics into the pickup. That's what I used to do with my '59 Melody Maker, anyway...

Nice! The C.C. I've been watching for a bit. If it were mine I know it'd sound great judging by the amount of wear.

Register Sign in to join the conversation