Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Restored ‘59 Falcon

So, there is no telling what condition this guitar was in when it was stripped down to restore. So restoring it to it's original glory is wrong? We gripe about relics around here all of the time. I would say to do it right bringing her back to her original glory would be the right thing to do, right? If it gets played it'll gain it's own respective scars and yellowing again. Lovely restore, IMO.

Edit: Either way is fine.To each his own. Curt did a great job on yours, Joe.

– Suprdave

I'm with you Dave; if you're going to restore it do it right and leave that relicing shit to the 'custom' shop. I wouldn't have the finish be stark white but rather more an ivory shade and let it age from there.

I'd say they did a fine job with the shade of white on this one. Not bright white, but not too far from it.

So, there is no telling what condition this guitar was in when it was stripped down to restore. So restoring it to it's original glory is wrong? We gripe about relics around here all of the time. I would say to do it right bringing her back to her original glory would be the right thing to do, right? If it gets played it'll gain it's own respective scars and yellowing again. Lovely restore, IMO.

I'm confused. Who complained about the restoration of the finish? Ed commented a bit negatively about the gold replating, but I can't find any comments criticizing the finish job.

I was also puzzled by RCGold's post, but maybe I overlooked something (or maybe someone deleted a comment?). Wouldn't be the first time that I overlooked something and got confused!

Anyway, I agree completely with the comments about Curt's job on Joe's guitar. Looks just great to me. Maybe I'll eventually come around on this white guitar thing. Haha.

I had a Falcon, the 1959-LTV model.. Wish I'd kept it but.. was paying off credit cards so it went..

Register Sign in to join the conversation