Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Replacement Tuenrs for 1959 Duo Jet

Hi, Does anyone know what tuner brand I can get to replace a stripped out tuner on my 1959 Duo Jet? I see the pics of the vintage ones on the thread below but not sure what to get for my jet. I play it on many gigs so I can go with a new tuner or working vintage one. Thanks for any help!

Jets from '59 used chrome plated Waverly 12:1 tuners; rarely Grover 12:1 Sta-tites. There aren't any modern drop-in replacements. Used ones turn up frequently on ebay and reverb. If you want to do a total new set, the folks at stewmac.com will be able to give advice so that you won't have to do any excessive drilling.

I did a few eBay searches and couldn't find any singles, just sets. But one will turn up and it shouldn't take too long. Or if you don't mind spending $200ish, you could buy a set and have spares. There's also a member here who routinely is posting partial sets of old tuners and odds and ends. It would be worth a shot to PM him:

http://gretschpages.com/com...

OK thanks, too bad for me there are not any modern replacements I can just drop in there.

On the bright side you have a 1959 Duo Jet.

Which side, treble or bass? I bet we can find you one without too much trouble.

Your DuoJet is more collectable than my ‘62 double cut Champagne Sparkle DuoJet. Mine’s a player so I went with Schallers with my open back Waverlys worn out. My Space Control had flattened, so... got a newer Spacy, a Bigsby compensated and Gibson Tune-a-matic.
I actually like the zero fret, small frets (regularly dressed but original) And my Burns Wiggle stick. I kept the old gears and bridge for giggles and the Schallers just used different mounting holes, no boring. Choice is yours.

Register Sign in to join the conversation