Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Replacement mute access cap needed.

Just bought a 62 Country Club which has the single mute system. I was told by the store the plastic mute cap, under the circle protective cover, is missing. I'm still buying the guitar but need a plastic mute cover, if a source is available. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

IIRC there were two styles of cover: a u-shaped one and the much more common round one. These turn up from time to time on fleabay and reverb.

Thanks Ix.

I'll check all of the normal places. Was hoping there was an after market source for one, even if its a new one.

I think it's unlikely that the holes will line up for a modern plate. For that matter, I'm not sure the vintage ones were uniform either. Making your own might be the easiest way.

It's on its way. I'll post a picture when it arrives. Here's a picture at the store.

I saw that one when I was looking for a Filter Jet. Reasonably priced and in good shape if I remember right. If I hadn't found the Jet I probably would have bought that. BTW there's a plastic mute cover (with pad) on Reverb right now. It's the bigger oval one.

66gent.

Thank you for your comment. I'm trying to find the link or better the actual description for the "plastic mute cover pad" on Reverb.com but I don't see it. Could you provide the link or the description so I can type it in... Many. many thanks

Thank you lx.

I wasn't aware of that feature on the Reverb site. I did find it, I think. Is it the one located in the UK? That's not a problem, I've purchased items from over seas before and had great success.

Many thanks again for your input. The guitar is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I'll take a look and see what I have to deal with then perhaps purchase the one you found.

Thank you lx.

I wasn't aware of that feature on the Reverb site. I did find it, I think. Is it the one located in the UK? That's not a problem, I've purchased items from over seas before and had great success.

Many thanks again for your input. The guitar is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I'll take a look and see what I have to deal with then perhaps purchase the one you found.

– wrd

Sorry I was at work - lx had you covered. If it’s the one in Bath UK then that’s the one I was referring to. Actually it must be, it’s the only one. I’ve bought parts from UK, Australia, etc with no problems other than an extra day or two to clear customs. As long as there’s no wood involved - tuners, electronic components, etc I wouldn’t expect any issues. In fact have a case in transit from BC, Canada right now. Like I said other than spending an extra day in Seattle clearing customs it’s no problem.

Thank you 66gent.

Yes, that's the only one I spotted on the Reverb site. Looks good and I could reshape it if its a little big. The holes are not a problem if they're off, it will be cover by the back pad.

Hey WRD did you get that access cover? I notice it’s not listed anymore. Hope you got it and it worked out for you. And I’m sure everyone would like to see pics of the Club.

Hi 66gent. I did not get the one that was pointed out to me on Reverb.com. I was going to buy it but it disappeared so I guess someone else bought it.

I'm still looking for one. I emailed the Gretsch Guitar Company and asked if they were selling them. I haven't received a reply yet. They are using them on the Gretsch Country Gentleman 6122 (62) so I know they still make them.

I also ordered a one ply blank sheet of pickguard material, thinking maybe I could make my own. I have several vintage Gretsch's that have access caps and I could use one as template.

I'm still not really sure what to actually call this thing. I've been describing it as a "plastic access cap that is screwed on to the back of the guitar and fits under the snap on pad."

Hard to believe someone doesn't have one that has a Gretsch as a donner parts guitar.

My Country Club did arrive and it's great. I need to change a few minor parts to get it back to original (truss rod cover, correct Bigsby arm that the previous bent to meet his/her needs and maybe a Tru-Arc brass bridge - if I can find one). It came with the standard Space Roller bridge which I'm not a fan. Are the Tru-Arc bridges still being made? I've purchased a few in the past and they are hard to come by.

Tru Arcs are definitely still being made! I just bought two of them a couple weeks ago. They are a site sponsor, which you can find along the right side of this page, or I'll just make it easy and post a link.

The site is little more than a price list, but I believe the contact info is still correct.

You can also contact the proprietor through his GretschPages profile here. Click on "Send a Message"

Edit: even simpler, just click on this link to send an email to Proteus. (I'm sorry Tim if this leads to junk mail. I'll take it down if you like.)

Okay great.

I've purchased a few from Tim in the past. A super great guy and I LOVE his bridges. I'll definitely make contact. That guitar will play so much better with a Tru-Arc Bridge.

Coincidentally enough the TruArc I ordered to replace the Space Control on the Jet I bought instead of getting the Club you bought is scheduled to arrive Monday.

Sorry you didn’t get that cover. Weird - I saw it for a few weeks and it disappeared a few days after you said you were looking

Thanks again 66gent. I'm sure you will enjoy Tim's Tru-Arc bridge over the Space Control bridge.

Still searching for the Mute access cap but I may end up having to make own.

My 1962 Country Club.

Register Sign in to join the conversation