Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Red Country Club

After '61 "tone bars," aka parallel bracing, was the norm. Trestle bracing was the only "heavy stuff" and it only existed from late '57 to '61 and that's it. Before and after that, there was only parallel bracing under the tops.

– Afire

My 1962 Country Club has Trestle Bracing it's a thinline, 1 7/8" thick body.. I would think that 6122's from the same era would have Trestle's..

My 1962 Country Club has Trestle Bracing it's a thinline, 1 7/8" thick body.. I would think that 6122's from the same era would have Trestle's..

– Don Butler aka: Toneman

I don't think so Don. The switch to the double-cutaway bodies for the Gent seems to coincide with the elimination of trestle braces. If anyone out there has an early '62 Gent with trestles... let's see it.

So as it is -Refinished in red -gold hardware all buffed shiny to chrome (??!!) - 70s (disposable ) - bridge -pickguard and surrounds repainted to match the chet workshop guitar -very beginnings of rot (2 or 3 small areas of cracks) first noticed by the seller after recently taking the guitar out of it's case where it had sat untouched for 5 years (I'm beginning to think rot is caused by pickguards and closed cases. my similar year tennessean had never had a pickguard in the 30 years I've owned it and NO rot)

Would $2k US be a good deal for this Club?

So as it is -Refinished in red -gold hardware all buffed shiny to chrome (??!!) - 70s (disposable ) - bridge -pickguard and surrounds repainted to match the chet workshop guitar -very beginnings of rot (2 or 3 small areas of cracks) first noticed by the seller after recently taking the guitar out of it's case where it had sat untouched for 5 years (I'm beginning to think rot is caused by pickguards and closed cases. my similar year tennessean had never had a pickguard in the 30 years I've owned it and NO rot)

Would $2k US be a good deal for this Club?

– Toxophilite

It's definitely got rot, so you'd have to factor that in. As it starts off-gassing, the edges near the transparent red would blacken as so frequently happens with the double cut 6120's. That said, it does looks great.

I forgot to list the rot but I put it in as well as a better idea as to the amount.

$2k = 2 much?

or good deal?

I'd say yeah if you dig it as a keeper. Not going to get into one for less, but I wouldn't plan on being able to move it quickly or for much more than that.

That's kind of what I was thinking and I usually like to only buy guitars online if I'm sure I can recoup my costs in case I end up not liking them

Any other opinions on this?

Register Sign in to join the conversation