Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Red Country Club

Refinished The add is annoying as there are no full shots of the guitar. I like this red , reminds of the early Tennesseans. If I could afford to buy another I might be all over this. Looks like a 60s club with a baldwin era bridge on it. Those Baldwin bridges are poorly designed in my opinion.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gr...

I'm interested in the added inlay on the headstock. How'd that get there?!

Interesting I didn't notice that I guess if you're refinishing you can add your own touches, I htink it's a sharp looking guitar and I always loved the Gretsch opaque red finish. I had a monkees in that colour and it was smashing. I sold it to Jim Creegan of the Bare Naked Ladies and bought a D-28 and a leather jacket.....

Those 70s bridges have the wood joining the two 'feet' much too thin so it flexes under the load of the strings. I think you can even see it in these pictures.

I wonder if it's a factory job?

Oops, 1965. It had the year hidden in the new ebay specs rather than in the ad or title

He notes that the binding is "checking", but doesn't even try to provide a photograph of it. That is bothersome to me. Otherwise, it is a pretty guitar. It would be prettier if it were a bit darker with red sparkle. That would tempt me.

I have always been a sucker for red guitars.... so my Rick 650 is coming back soon in Cardinal Red. As cool as sparkle is, they can be a tought sell... it took forever to get $1600 for that perfect red sparkle '65 Anniversary I had.

What is meant by "Chet Workshop Guitar'?

He notes that the binding is "checking", but doesn't even try to provide a photograph of it. That is bothersome to me. Otherwise, it is a pretty guitar. It would be prettier if it were a bit darker with red sparkle. That would tempt me.

– Ric12string

Maybe the "checking" is referring to what's in this neck/heel photo.

I have always been a sucker for red guitars.... so my Rick 650 is coming back soon in Cardinal Red. As cool as sparkle is, they can be a tought sell... it took forever to get $1600 for that perfect red sparkle '65 Anniversary I had.

What is meant by "Chet Workshop Guitar'?

– DCBirdMan

It's the term used for the guitar pictured on the Chet Atkins Workshop album, his 12th 12" size LP. He's playing a single [bridge] pup Tenny.

I like this particular shade of red. And it sure gives a CC a degree of uniqueness the sunburst finish doesn't. If the binding is okay, I'd say this isn't a bad price for great looking guitar. That inlay on the headstock I think adds a subtle touch of elegance.

The Baldwin bridge is a good AOM; it's the base that's poorly designed as pointed out, but can be corrected nicely.

Yup that's the one referred to. I was corresponding with the seller. The guitar was purchased by the seller in 69 and as the finish started to come off in big flakes(like the other club for sale in California) he had it professionally refinished in red to match the tennessean on the Chet Atkins album cover. I think that picture of the heel joint is supposed to show the 'checking' I'm sure the seller would provide more pictures if asked. he seemed pretty straight up. He's had the guitar for about 47 years. If I could sell my 58 club in an instant..I'd probably buy this one. mmmmm red!

I like it. Hope it comes within the GDP.

Remember this one? Interesting '63 model year red (White) Falcon.

Looks great in that colour,it suits the Club.

Yep, looks great!

$3K or "Make Offer"? This could be a steal for someone.

Paul/FF909

Maybe the "checking" is referring to what's in this neck/heel photo.

– Bryan K.

That's rot. This one is toast.

Same year as my Club. Now I know how mine would look in red. Looks great.

Chet Workshop LP...

– kc_eddie_b

Slightly off topic but I always thought he had the coolest sweater.

That's rot. This one is toast.

– lx

You're right about there being binding rot starting. The pics of this guitar aren't super sharp and I missed that on my first look. The other clue about the binding's condition is in the pic of the headstock/nut. Notice the binding doesn't butt tight against the nut on both sides and from both the headstock and neck sides. It lifting as well.

With the binding issues and being a refin, I refine my earlier thoughts about it being worth $3K. More like closer to $2K.

The headstock binding just means the nut is skinnier than the original. It's not a sign of rot. The cracks in the binding around the neck joint are maybe the first indicators.

Does anybody have a full bodied 65 country gent Do they just have the conventional archtop bracing of two 'tone bars' or do they have trestles and other heavy stuff? I kind of prefer them open

Does anybody have a full bodied 65 country gent Do they just have the conventional archtop bracing of two 'tone bars' or do they have trestles and other heavy stuff? I kind of prefer them open

– Toxophilite

After '61 "tone bars," aka parallel bracing, was the norm. Trestle bracing was the only "heavy stuff" and it only existed from late '57 to '61 and that's it. Before and after that, there was only parallel bracing under the tops.

Thanks That's what I thought. I think of it as parallel bracing too as I have a bit of a luthier background but the common modern nomenclature seems to be 'tone bars' Are there cases of binding rot that don't progress. This guitar was refinished with acrylic lacquer 10 years ago. I wonder if that would affect the process.

After '61 "tone bars," aka parallel bracing, was the norm. Trestle bracing was the only "heavy stuff" and it only existed from late '57 to '61 and that's it. Before and after that, there was only parallel bracing under the tops.

– Afire

My 1962 Country Club has Trestle Bracing it's a thinline, 1 7/8" thick body.. I would think that 6122's from the same era would have Trestle's..

Register Sign in to join the conversation