Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Rare ‘56 6120 — BBQ Orange and….

I made a bit of a lowball offer on this guitar last night. Woke up today and decided to make a serious move on it only to find it was purchased. Wondering if a GDPer snagged it?

You have a lot of information on Bigsby everything. Where did you get your info? I've got a strange Bigsby bridge that rocks and I'm pretty sure it's factory. Is this in the Bigsby book?

– lx

I"ve been collecting Bigsby parts and info for about 30 years. All Bigsby bridges should rock....there's been several versions. Early ones had posts that rocked, later had saddles that rocked. The book is great, but missing a LOT of information.

I"ve been collecting Bigsby parts and info for about 30 years. All Bigsby bridges should rock....there's been several versions. Early ones had posts that rocked, later had saddles that rocked. The book is great, but missing a LOT of information.

– ....

Yes... The Bigsby book is amazing, and my fav coffee-table book of all time! However, it's focused on Paul Bigsby's life and professional journey, and doesn't delve (enough) into the minutia of the vibratos themselves.

I don't believe the buyer is a member here but he is from the US. He asked a few odd questions though: Is the bridge pinned.? Somewhat odd but wanting to ensure no holes in the top I guess and asked what string were on it?? I've been in touch with the seller and she'd ask me what he was referring to and other advice. She said the guitar sold today. She's happy with the sale and price and let me know today she accepted his offer. She didn't take a low ball offer. She knew nothing about guitars and needed help so I offered.

I believe the buyer is a member here Dave (not me of course).

The name she gave wasn't familiar to me, but of course given the online names, that's not exactly an indication of one's real name!

The name she gave wasn't familiar to me, but of course given the online names, that's not exactly an indication of one's real name!

– Windsordave

Indeed he is. It's me.

Congrats on this great acquisition Tricone! Let's see more pix when you get it!

Congrats on this great acquisition Tricone! Let's see more pix when you get it!

– kc_eddie_b

Will do!

Congrats again Tricone,gorgeous aul geet that!

Congrats again Tricone,gorgeous aul geet that!

– JCHiggy

Thank you, sir. I'm very curious to see the actual color, this "BBQ orange", as I'm sure the photos do not do it justice. I have the '59 6120 shown in my avatar, which is the more traditional orange . . . this '56 looks markedly different.

I'll bet you'll like the color of your 'new' 6120 better. That deep, clear aged orange finish seen on '50's Gretsches looks prettier than the opaque finishes of the double cut era and also the very faded look of some 6120's. Of all the finsihs variations, this one looks the most classy to me.

I'll bet you'll like the color of your 'new' 6120 better. That deep, clear aged orange finish seen on '50's Gretsches looks prettier than the opaque finishes of the double cut era and also the very faded look of some 6120's. Of all the finsihs variations, this one looks the most classy to me.

– Windsordave

Thanks Dave! Is “BBQ Orange” the agreed-upon name for the color in the Gretsch World?

BBQ Orange is descriptive but not standard nomenclature. I've come know these '57 examples to be typically referenced as "ruddy" orange.

BBQ Orange is descriptive but not standard nomenclature. I've come know these '57 examples to be typically referenced as "ruddy" orange.

– kc_eddie_b

Better ruddy than cruddy. :D

Better ruddy than cruddy. :D

– Tricone

'Ruddy' is a great name and my favorite shade for 6120's. In addition, it's the clear finish I like for any model, rather than the various opaque finishes down through the years. I will mention an exemption and that's for the original Caddy Green on the CC's, which is iconic.

'Ruddy' is a great name and my favorite shade for 6120's. In addition, it's the clear finish I like for any model, rather than the various opaque finishes down through the years. I will mention an exemption and that's for the original Caddy Green on the CC's, which is iconic.

– Windsordave

Hey Dave, any insight or history you might be able to share regarding the guitar in question?

Hey Dave, any insight or history you might be able to share regarding the guitar in question?

– Tricone

Sorry Tricone, I don't know anything about this guitar you got (are getting) from Shirley. I was only made aware of it from the original posting here about it. I contacted the seller to point out some errors in the ad that needed to be corrected to help sell the guitar. It sounded like it was being sold by someone not familiar with guitars and I was right. She wrote back thanking me and said she knew nothing about guitars. I wrote again to her pointing out a few more suggestions for her ad as well as the best way to package it for shipping. When you asked her a couple of questions she emailed me, not knowing what you were asking and how to answer you. I sort of educated her regarding guitars, in particular, vintage iconic guitars and things that a buyer is most concerned with, particularly in this price range. I pointed out that for guitars such as hers, originality is a huge factor for value and that condition runs a close second.

I didn't ask and she didn't say but I believe this guitar was from a family member's estate or was willed to her. She seems like a very nice lady and thanked me for helping her through the process and I believe she'd give you some history about the guitar if you asked.

Just for my own inquisitiveness, could you do me a favor and measure the width of the neck just in front of the nut? Several of my guitars have the wider neck Chet favored (1.75", outer edge of both bindings) and I always wonder with the older 6120's if any have this feature. One other thing, what neck profile does this guitar have? Thanks a lot.

Congrats Tricone, looks like a nice guitar. I’d be keen to know how much, if at all, it differs from mine, seeing how close the numbers are.

Dave, I can measure my neck too if you wish.

Congrats Tricone, looks like a nice guitar. I’d be keen to know how much, if at all, it differs from mine, seeing how close the numbers are.

– Deke Martin

That would be great too, Deke! 3 or 4 years ago at the Vancouver Guitar Show, Paul Pigat and I saw a '60 6120 on display but not for sale [by a fellow he knew]. I looked it over and measured the neck width and it was 1.75" and a shallow-ish C-shape IIRC. It was from that batch of S/N's that had the highly figured - flame - top. It was in real good shape but comparing the finish color or shade, I prefer Tricone's, highly figured nothwithstanding. It was more of that faded shade rather than being brighter.

Sorry Tricone, I don't know anything about this guitar you got (are getting) from Shirley. I was only made aware of it from the original posting here about it. I contacted the seller to point out some errors in the ad that needed to be corrected to help sell the guitar. It sounded like it was being sold by someone not familiar with guitars and I was right. She wrote back thanking me and said she knew nothing about guitars. I wrote again to her pointing out a few more suggestions for her ad as well as the best way to package it for shipping. When you asked her a couple of questions she emailed me, not knowing what you were asking and how to answer you. I sort of educated her regarding guitars, in particular, vintage iconic guitars and things that a buyer is most concerned with, particularly in this price range. I pointed out that for guitars such as hers, originality is a huge factor for value and that condition runs a close second.

I didn't ask and she didn't say but I believe this guitar was from a family member's estate or was willed to her. She seems like a very nice lady and thanked me for helping her through the process and I believe she'd give you some history about the guitar if you asked.

Just for my own inquisitiveness, could you do me a favor and measure the width of the neck just in front of the nut? Several of my guitars have the wider neck Chet favored (1.75", outer edge of both bindings) and I always wonder with the older 6120's if any have this feature. One other thing, what neck profile does this guitar have? Thanks a lot.

– Windsordave

Hey Dave . . . thanks for the reply. I have yet to receive the guitar, but when it does arrive, I’ll definitely get back to you regarding your questions.

– Deke Martin

Might you have some pics of yours? :)

Well . . . crossing my fingers. I guess the shipper just couldn’t find a box that would fit a guitar case.

Register Sign in to join the conversation