Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Rare ‘56 6120 — BBQ Orange and….

... a breakaway "Brigsby".

range" rel="nofollow">https://reverb.com/item/103...

Horseshoe headstock, plain block markers, knobs positioned for the breakaway. Bridge not original and a funny circle on the pickguard. And a typically clueless seller. There's a similarly dark orange '57 in Ed's 6120 book. I bet someone forgot to clean out the black lacquer from the spraygun; the batch before #189xx was for Corvettes.

NFI.

Edit: Might have had a neck re-set: I don't see a spacer for the neck pup and a Bigsby bridge would be a solution to a low break-angle.

Love that Bigsby, colour is strong, nice guitar

Might be widow or daughter selling this and the advice she received is way off base as far as the features description and certainly the price.

Sounds like it might be a similar situation as a few years back with Ann and her husband's Gent with the S/N 26401. We'll see.

If that's St Charles, New Brunswick - could that be the long lost Lenny Breau 6120?

You never know

The seller did in fact inherit this guitar and she says she got the specs from a guitar shop. Strange though that I have this guitar in my records as being owned by a GDPer (PreD_Falcon).

If that's St Charles, New Brunswick - could that be the long lost Lenny Breau 6120?

You never know

– Shuggie

‘Twould be cool, but I don’t think it is. Switch position is a little different IMO.

This guitar is very cool, similar colour to my 189xx.

This one is also from the late #180xx batch.

Correction to the above post... This guitar is from the late #189xx batch.

Do we know the serial? I couldn’t see it in the listing.

1. There's a shot of the label if you scroll through the pictures.

Other than that aluminum Bigsby bridge base, this guitar looks to be complete and original.

You never know

– Shuggie

I think it's more likely the small community in Ontario, halfway between Sudbury & North Bay.

We'd need to see a pic of Lenny's 6120 and compare. Paraphrasing, Chet said 'Lenny walked into my office with a 6120 like I'd had and could play everything I ever recorded.....and did it better than I did!'

Somewhere awhile ago I read that Lenny's son has that guitar.

Edit: Might have had a neck re-set: I don't see a spacer for the neck pup and a Bigsby bridge would be a solution to a low break-angle.

Whenever I see a metal Bigsby base in place of a taller wooden one, I suspect neck angle issues. Not that it's anything a few hundred bucks couldn't fix, but I suspect you may be right.

Here ya go

– JazzBoxJunky

Thanks. Only 11 away from mine, so same ‘contaminated’ paint

FWIW, mine had an ali bridge base when I got it. I assumed it to be non-original, but seeing this makes think it may have been original issue. Is it possible this batch were fitted with these?

Lenny's son has it?

That's good to know Dave.

I was being tongue in cheek but there was a Lenny thread recently I believe.

FWIW....that Bigsby bridge base is from the 50s.

FWIW....that Bigsby bridge base is from the 50s.

– ....

You have a lot of information on Bigsby everything. Where did you get your info? I've got a strange Bigsby bridge that rocks and I'm pretty sure it's factory. Is this in the Bigsby book?

Thanks. Only 11 away from mine, so same ‘contaminated’ paint

– Deke Martin

I had the neck off my modern 6120 re-shot with a darker smoked orange and I thought it was a fantastic color. Didn't do the rest of the guitar as the neck was bothering my wrist, but these look great. Is yours the same as the one on page 88 of Ed's 6120 book?

Mine is in Ed’s book, but I can’t remember the page off-hand. Mine is the one with the partially anodised Bigsby.

FWIW, mine had an ali bridge base when I got it. I assumed it to be non-original, but seeing this makes think it may have been original issue. Is it possible this batch were fitted with these?

– Deke Martin

I’m wondering the same. I heard that they were fairly common in the ‘50’s and were simply swapped out because they looked cool.

Mine is in Ed’s book, but I can’t remember the page off-hand. Mine is the one with the partially anodised Bigsby.

– Deke Martin

. . . Page 88

Register Sign in to join the conversation