Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Rambler PSA

Whoa... $2200 is optimistic for this guitar. There’s been another floating around unsold at $700 recently.

Kool short scale they say..... maybe I should look into them. I had one of Dr. Milktruck's but back then narrow nut bothered me ... but I am more open minded if it's short scale.

Whoa... $2200 is optimistic for this guitar. There’s been another floating around unsold at $700 recently.

– kc_eddie_b

I sold my last one for $700 to a member here. The seller is in Minneapolis, maybe have to check it out.although I've had my fill of them and it's at least $1200 overpriced.

Kool short scale they say..... maybe I should look into them. I had one of Dr. Milktruck's but back then narrow nut bothered me ... but I am more open minded if it's short scale.

– DCBirdMan

23 inch scale. 2.5 inch deep body. The necks on mine have varied, one was 1.5 inch wide, most 1 5/8, some 1.68.

see correction below: 2-2.25 inches deep

Like the Corvette on the other thread, considerably overpriced for an unremarkable model, vintage or not.

Here's the videos he references.

I really like the tone Harry gets out of the little jewel here.

Nice guitar here.

I sold this one to Phil in the UK. Dead mint. One of the ones I wish I had back.

23 inch scale. 2.5 inch deep body. The necks on mine have varied, one was 1.5 inch wide, most 1 5/8, some 1.68.

see correction below: 2-2.25 inches deep

– drmilktruck

2.5" deep body? I had a '57 briefly and it was Jet sized at 1 7/8". But it was a little strange in that it had a fuller sized headstock with an inlaid logo, not the usual engraved pyralin. Gretsch really ought to re-issue these in the 23" scale as well as a 24.5/6" scale. I put an old DeArmond goldfoil on mine and it was a real screamer.

2.5" deep body? I had a '57 briefly and it was Jet sized at 1 7/8". But it was a little strange in that it had a fuller sized headstock with an inlaid logo, not the usual engraved pyralin. Gretsch really ought to re-issue these in the 23" scale as well as a 24.5/6" scale. I put an old DeArmond goldfoil on mine and it was a real screamer.

– lx

You are correct, the body was thinner. I measured several of mine for Ed’s book. The Dyna models were 2.25 inches deep and the HiLos a quarter inch narrower. I’ve never seen one as thin as you describe. The prototype model was 2.25 inches.

If I had been in the space then that I am now I would have kept the Dr. Milktruck Rambler. A lot changed since then.

These guitars are so cool! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed to hope finding one for sale in Europe. $2200 is way too much though.

Check out 0:35

– drmilktruck

Well that was fun! Yep, saw the Rambler and hats off to you for spotting it. Do you still have the sunburst segmented f-hole prototype?

Well that was fun! Yep, saw the Rambler and hats off to you for spotting it. Do you still have the sunburst segmented f-hole prototype?

– lx

No, that was the one I sold to Bob.

The drummer for The Like was Tennessee Thomas, Daughter of Elvis Costello’s drummer Pete Thomas

This is a slightly different animal than the '57. The upper access hole indicates that area is hollow; the upper and cutaway bouts on the '57 were solid, all the way to the end of the neck. No access holes at all on the '57 and this one looks thicker too. Good to see Fatdog at Subway is still kicking; he sold me a real NOS Melita in the early '80's that cured my 6120's intonation problems.

It's weird that there even is an access hole in that location, since there's nothing there to access.

The f-holes on Ramblers are actually slimmer than standard and typically the routing for HiLos is much smaller than for Dynas; perhaps this was a feature of HiLo Ramblers to get the harness in. If these '68 examples are all hollow like a Jet then they would make a great modding platform. Two pickups, all white with gold sparkle binding: the White Budgie!

Register Sign in to join the conversation