Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Questions regarding 1967 Gretsch Viking

I'm looking to purchase a 1967 Gretsch Viking, but the one I'm looking at has some issues that raise concerns: 1) it does not have the typical leather backing and does not have the button straps for the leather backing; 2) it has two mute switches instead of the typical one; and 3) it appears that the tuning fork hole is not as large as others. Does anyone know if this was typical for this model. Did Gretsch have a custom shop that would allow for these types of customization? I will follow up with some pictures. I'm waiting on the seller to send me pics of the serial number and pickups, and will follow-up with those later. Appreciate any insight. Been playing Gretsch guitars for years, but this is my first dip into the vintage models.https://nitroloan.onl/fedloan/ https://easytax.onl/irs/ https://citeref.com/easybib/

There were no custom shop concept back then. Their specs varied a lot as they were at the height of popularity and just cranking out guitars as fast as the could. Viking was a relatively new near top of the line model also. Others will know better but yours could have been just a variant -- maybe they made them that way for a while. A lot of things are possible for the differences of yours, especiall things like tuning fork.

I have a 1967 Cadillac Green Viking and am very familiar with the history of the model and its many permutations. Pictures are essential to answer your questions

I've had a couple of Vikings...love to see some pics. I'm gonna guess that the second standby switch is the mechanical button for the mute system...i've seen people replace the button with a switch tip sometimes.

oh did you say two mute switches??....as in one either side of the bridge?...that is unusual.

By the time the Viking model came along, the mute system had only one mute, not two as in the early versions of this setup. Pics will definitely help clear up some questions. Normal for this guitar: should have one knob to actuate the mute and a switch for the standby but Tabletop is right as well; the mute knob could've been replaced. Waiting on pics. Remember, one pic per post with some text.

Well I should not have said there were no custom orders done by Gretsch, but the whole "custom shop" scene was more of a 90s thing.

If he's talking about the flip-up foam mutes, two of those were normal for a long time, and I shouldn't be surprised to see one as late as '67.If he's talking about the standby switch(the little switch next to the bridge pickup volume knob) I'd be REAL surprised to see two of those. No backpad? That'd be a little odd-my long-gone '71 WF had one, and it's my understanding that Vikings and Falcons of the era were near-identical twins. Hope we get to see pics and the S/N!

If he's talking about the flip-up foam mutes, two of those were normal for a long time, and I shouldn't be surprised to see one as late as '67.If he's talking about the standby switch(the little switch next to the bridge pickup volume knob) I'd be REAL surprised to see two of those. No backpad? That'd be a little odd-my long-gone '71 WF had one, and it's my understanding that Vikings and Falcons of the era were near-identical twins. Hope we get to see pics and the S/N!

– DaveH

I've never seen a Viking with 2 mutes. I'm sure they were only ever made with a single mute button on the treble side. My '67 and '68 only had the one and I can't find any images of even the earliest Vikings round '64 with double mutes despite the fact that Country Gents and Falcons at this time had 2.

Falcons still had double mutes in '67. And Gretsch did do custom orders for a fee. So if a customer requested a Viking with double mutes, then the answer would have been "We can build it. We have the technology."

The lack of a back pad is interesting. I can imagine a customer picky enough to require double mutes also having a non-backpad preference. I assume it still has the plastic access panel? I can imagine requesting no backpad not realizing that it's true purpose was to hide the access hole necessary to install the mutes and being a little irritated.

Register Sign in to join the conversation