Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Question on CITES regulations

I know the issues folks in the US have trying to export a guitar with rosewood in it but is there a problem importing such a guitar from Canada into the US? Thanks.

As long as the US and Canada are in a trade-union (like the European Union) I guess not...are they? CITES...the worst nightmare for buying vintage guitars since the beginning of mankind...don't get me started!

Normal indian rosewood, not a problem though it's good to clearly state the sort of woods on the guitar Brazillian rosewood requires permits etc.

I have been corresponding with CITES Canada about this.

As long as the US and Canada are in a trade-union (like the European Union) I guess not...are they? CITES...the worst nightmare for buying vintage guitars since the beginning of mankind...don't get me started!

– 58dutchie

CITES -- yep -- Leave it to the do-gooders to screw things up.

I bought Wheelgrinder’s ES 295 and imported it from Canada into the Netherlands last year. CITES was a piece of cake, especially on the Canadian side. (You need two CITES permits: import and export.) It took a bit longer here in the Netherlands, about 5 weeks. All in all: it’s not a big deal, not expensive (free in Canada and € 60 here), and definitely not something that should keep you from buying or selling. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

So glad to have an actual firsthand account of the process. Thanks, GG.

CITES -- yep -- Leave it to the do-gooders to screw things up.

– DCBirdMan

People that do good..are bad?? What a strange idea Certainly people that attempt to do good things heedlessly can be annoying

I believe CITES is a great idea but maybe the implementation for vintage instruments isn't the best. I'm happy that somethings being done about rain forest deforestation even if it is probably too late. There's been enough deforestation done. If I want to see old growth forest I have to travel a long expensive distance to see a small fraction of it's former glory and I live smack dab in the middle of a rain forest.

Frankly most of the problem has seemed to be with ebay's global shipping company Pitney Bowes.

CITES Canada was super helpful with me

Dave if you look it up and call or email CITES Canada they will get back to you the next day with very informed and helpful answers. This has been my experience with several different enquiries of different individuals If I were you I would contact them yourself It's very easy and then you will have no doubt.

Thanks for the info. I was inquiring on behalf of a friend, and not myself. They're contacting CITES tomorrow. I just gave them the head's up about CITES for a US buyer.

Dave, I haven’t had the same as experience as Toxophilite. When buying a Collings across the border last year, I had to call everyday for a week to ge through. Voicemails and emails went unanswered. Once through, though, they were helpful.

I have documented the process in more detail elsewhere, but the short answer is:

1) if carrying the guitar across the border, no permits are needed.

2) if shipping across the border an export permit from the US ($75, up to three months) and an import permit from Canada (free, three weeks) are needed.

If Brazilian Rosewood or Abalone are involved, there are more extensive permits required.

Regardless, have full documentation of the guitar, including production year, country, and materials. I also carry printouts of relevant government policies and correspondence so I can politely and convincingly deal with an inquisitive border guard who may not know the difference between Brazilian and Indian rosewood.

Register Sign in to join the conversation