Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Pics of my 50s Jets. They’ve come a long way baby

These have come a long way from when I got them. LOL. Looking for plastic for the Silver Jet. And looking for gold hardware for the Chet Jet.

Don't you have a Roundup as well, Joe?

Unfortunately no. The orange one is a 6121 with western belt. But it lost its western inlays to some guy named Ed Ball. I would love to have a Roundup, a Duo Jet and firebird to round out the set. I had a Firebird on the hook early this year but loss of income this year caused me to back out. But I think my holy grail Jet is the Roundup.

I’d be willing to trade my 1958 6120 conversion for another 50s Jet though. They seem to be my Gretsch model.

A Les Paul lurks in the background.

A Les Paul lurks in the background.

– DCBirdMan

It’s a 2001 R8 Custom Authentic Les Paul Standard. Great year for R8s. Flamed tops, great early hand wound Burst Buckers (2/3), factory Grovers and the up charged Custom Authentic finish.

What handsome couple! I quite like the 6121 as is. would you also have gold tuners?

What handsome couple! I quite like the 6121 as is. would you also have gold tuners?

– eCastro

It should have all gold hardware, but the chrome looks great on it too.

It should have all gold hardware, but the chrome looks great on it too.

– Joe Desperado

I think I prefer the chrome TBH. It's a great shade of orange on the top would look great with either

I'm going to check out the 57 today. Hopefully will soon have my first jet. Either a 56 or 57.

L&M is advertising a Caddy Green (laurel fretboard?) G5230T with Bigsby for a reasonable price, and I have Christmas money in my pocket.. But the guitar is out of stock and won't be here 'til March, or I would be at risk of breaking the 1 in = 1 out rule with Karen.

But I have a decent disability tax refund (COPD and AFib can be worth something, as it turns out) which will likely arrive about the same time...

Add in a Jonesing for one of those green Jets and I may actually wind up owning an entry level version....

Hmm....?

That top has faded a lot since I first refinished it.

Do they sound similar? I would be interested in hearing what each offers that the other doesn't. They both look stellar!

Are you selling either of these Jets, Joe?

Do they sound similar? I would be interested in hearing what each offers that the other doesn't. They both look stellar!

– BuddyHollywood

Interesting question/Answer:

The neck on the silver jet is huge and the result is acoustically loud, articulate and sonically blooming responsiveness. Unplugged it’s as loud as my 6120 maybe louder.

The 6121 is not very loud or responsive unplugged.

But... they both sound very similar plugged into my blackface Princeton Reverb. The silver jet still blooms more and is a bit more articulate over the Chet, but they both sonically cover the same territory. Both neck pickups are warm and huge. The bridge positions have that classic twangy rockabilly bite. Classic Cliff Gallup rock machines.

I favor the silver jet when playing. At a medium volume the notes bloom better and interact with the amp and speaker. The Chet requires a bit more volume to get that same interaction. Makes sense due to the acoustically different nature of each.

Are you selling either of these Jets, Joe?

– crowbone

Not right now but you never know. Nice clean examples of these two models are now above $10k. I’d be hard pressed to be able to afford one let alone both of these fine guitars if they weren’t player grade.

Those are a couple of sweet guitars.

Register Sign in to join the conversation